Chapter Nine

Demeter stood on her balcony, her ebony wings stretched wide, catching the light breeze that swept under her. The wind caressed her wings ever so slightly, filling her with a longing she had buried deep within her heart. Longing for the freedom of flying in the open skies, free from the tight grasp of the world she had created. Perhaps it was all she wanted. Was to fly once again without the fear of being shot down by those who sought to bring her to justice.

Her vibrant eyes remained closed as she listened to the slight howl of the wind, her mind drifting to that of her past.

-ooooo-

"Mother!" a child called out, vibrant, violet eyes piercing underneath a wild mane of blizzard-white hair. They had a slight glow to them, as if they, themselves, were small purple flames. The child ran barefoot upon the royal rugs, the tail of a blue dress trailing behind. But perhaps the most striking feature was her dragon-like wings. Raven-black with smooth scales, smoother than that of wet river stones, the web softer than velvet.

An elegant woman, an elf, stood by a great window, her aquamarine eyes fixed on the child. Her flaming red hair was pulled back and adorned in a tight braid, showing all the beautiful features of her face.

"Demeter!" The regal woman crouched down, arms wide, wrapping herself around the child in a strong embrace. "Darling, what did I tell you about roaming the castle alone?" the woman asked in a stern but yet, a gentle, angelic tone, like that of the most melodious of lullabies.

"I only wanted to see you," Demeter retorted, her own voice captivating, even though only a young child she held a regal look in her violet eyes, like that of a queen—that knew her power and place in the world—and what her power could accomplish.

Queen Galihay smiled warmly, her lips pressing a gentle kiss to Demeter's temple. "And see me, you shall, my unpredictable storm," she whispered, her voice like smooth honey, "but I know you better than that, why have you come dear?"

Demeter's eyes bore into Galihay's, "Yes mother, I would like to know why you rule these pigs, and why I am the only one like—myself"

Queen Galihay's expression shifted from warmth to something more complex, a blend of sadness and frustration. Her regal bearing remained, but there was a flash of annoyance in her eyes at the word 'pigs.'

"They are not pigs, my dear, but simply people who live in different circumstances," she explained patiently, though her voice carried a hint of reproach. "And I rule them because it is my duty as their queen, they trust me and I must keep giving them reason to do so. But as for why you are unique, that is something we will discuss when you are older, and when you are ready to understand."

"I want to know why and now, and as for them you can call them by their name. Mother," Demeter's voice remind low and deliberate, her violet eyes holding a tempestuous glare.

She sighed softly, her fingers gently brushing through Demeter's silken white hair. "You are like a storm, my dear," she murmured, her voice a soothing melody. "Fierce and untamed. But storms can be both destructive and cleansing. It is a delicate balance we must learn to control."

Demeter considered her mother's words, her eyes still fixed on her mother's face. "I don't want to be a storm, Mother. I want to be something more. Something greater."

"You are, a storm is both something to fear and revere. You are both I see that as you get older" She explained with a knowing smile, a hint of pride in her eyes.

"Make me promise, Demeter"

Demeter's violet eyes sparkled with curiosity as she nodded slowly. "A promise, Mother? What kind of promise?"

The Queen held her daughter's small face between her hands, her expression one of immense love. "Promise to never let your power consume you, and never let the promise of power corrupt you."

Demeter nodded slowly, "I promise, Mother." she finally said, in a steady, collective tone.

-ooooo-

Demeter's wings twitched involuntarily as the memories washed over her. Her violet eyes opened and gazed out into the horizon, wondering if she had strayed too far from the promise she had once made. If she was to blame all the darkness in the world, or was it already dark and she just shed light to the evil that lurked?