Chapter Eleven

Candle light danced upon Dezenym's face, his golden eye's matched that of the small flickering flames dancing on the wick. His gaze penetrated through the air, and remained on Onyx as though seeing her for the first time all over again. His eyes traced the scars on her face, remnants of battles fought and hardships endured. The slash that crossed one of her golden eyes didn't diminish its vibrancy; it remained as brilliant and unyielding as the other. Seemingly untouched by the blade that had scared her beautiful face. However Dezenym's heart continued to ache at the sight of those scars, a reminder of his own failures, of the times he couldn't protect her, just as he couldn't protect her mother.

"I failed her just like I failed her mother," Dezenym silently thought to himself as his gaze shifted to the scar on her neck. He knew there were likely more scars hidden, each a testament to her resilience.

Breaking the silence, he finally spoke, his voice soft but tinged with concern, "I can remove the cuffs, but we will have to find a way to channel your power."

A small innocent smile crept onto her lips. Such innocence, even with the raw, dark, power that ran her veins; she still remained pure. "Could I channel it into my sword?" Onyx asked. "Even with all she's been through and yet she still finds a way to smile, if only raven could see her, she a spitting image of her"

He nodded in response, his gaze locking onto hers with a mixture of pride and sadness. "Yes that can and shall be done my love, but to warn you—it will be painful, I may be able to share your pain with you", he looked away for a moment, "But I don't know how long that will last"

A gentle hand reached out, embracing his own. Onyx's touch was warm and soothing, despite the strength and power that resided within her. Her understanding eyes locked onto his. There was a depth to her gaze that went beyond her years, a wisdom born of hardships and trials that she had endured. She was not just a girl; she was a survivor, a warrior. Her smile was both soft like velvet and harder than diamonds.

"I can handle the pain," she said, her voice carrying a quiet resolve. Behind those words lay an entire story.

-ooooo-

Blood fell from and splashed on the floor, her vision blurred with each passing moment, the world around her fading into a nightmarish haze. Her mind was a cacophony of screams, a torment she couldn't escape, and yet, her own lips remained sealed in a haunting silence.

Desperation clawed at her, urging her to cry out, to scream in agony, but no sound escaped her throat. She opened her mouth, releasing a silent cry.

Her body grew weak, drained by the relentless torrent of power surging through her veins. It was a paradoxical sensation, as if her senses had been both heightened to an unbearable intensity and cruelly extinguished in the same breath. Her head throbbed with each heartbeat, sharp pains shooting through her skull like fiery blades.

As her legs gave way beneath her, betraying her with a cruel weakness, she crumpled to the unforgiving wood floor. Strong hands closed around her, "Onyx!" she heard her father, or had she?

"Onyx! Let my voice guide you, follow my voice", Dezenym's voice ripped through her mind, soothing the sharp agony. That was until she felt a familiar piece of steel placed in her hand.

"Focus! Direct all your agony to your blade, divert your power, so that it can take form", his voice echoed.

Her eyes became heavy iron doors that shut out the light, the world fell silent. Those were the last words she heard.

-ooooo-

"Onyx!" Dezenym's voice cut through the chaos like a thunderclap, a desperate plea that shattered the oppressive silence. His heart clenched as he witnessed his daughter's crumpled form, blood cascading from her nose in two crimson streams, creating a stark contrast against her pale skin.

He kneeled by her side, his heart pounding in his chest like the hoof-beats of a wild animal. Her form was battered and broken, but her grip on the blade, Rivana, remained unyielding.

"Come on, Onyx," Dezenym urged, his voice trembling with a mixture of fear and unwavering belief in her. He knew the indomitable spirit that resided within her, a spirit born of trials and hardships. "I know you are strong. Only you can do this."

For a moment, there was nothing but silence—a deafening void that threatened to consume them both. It felt like an eternity stretched into nothingness.

And then, as though a bolt of lightning had struck—igniting a wild fire in the darkness, her golden-flaming eyes shot open.