Chapter Twenty-One

Onyx stormed down the dimly lit halls, her anger and determination guiding her fast, heavy steps. She didn't care if her presence was heard; she wanted to make a statement. Her fingers clenched tightly around her bow, feeling its familiar weight in her hands. This was no ordinary shot; it was a moment of justice she sought to deliver.

Her heart pounded in her chest as she reached a chamber, the identity of its owner lost to her in her focused rage. The only thing that mattered now was the window in that room. Swiftly, she opened it and climbed out, her fingers and palms clinging to the rough stone walls for support. The cold night air rushed against her face, but she paid it no mind. Outside, there was a small ledge, barely wide enough to accommodate her foot. She took a deep breath, steadying herself, and carefully stepped onto it. Each steady step required precise footing as she walked along the narrow ledge. Below she could see Rok holding the rains of two ready horses.

"Thank you Rok, but just one last thing before we run" she thought as she balanced on the ledge.

She moved with the grace of a bobcat, her senses sharp, alert to any potential danger. Her mind was laser-focused on the target, the one who had caused so much pain and suffering. In her heart, she knew that this shot could change everything. This shot was her key to absolute freedom.

Her eyes locked onto a glowing window, her heart pounding as she prepared for the shot that could change everything. This was the moment she had been building towards, the moment that would alter the course of her destiny. This was the moment she would finally live.

As she approached the edge of the ledge, she positioned herself for the perfect angle. The moon cast its pale glow upon her, illuminating the night. Her fingers caressed the bowstring, feeling the tension build as she notched an arrow onto her bow. The soft whispers of the night seemed to fade away, replaced by the steady rhythm of her heartbeat. She blocked out all distractions, focusing solely on her target, the one who had held her captive, the one who had abused her for their own gain.

With practiced ease, she drew the arrow back, the muscles in her arm tense. Her breaths were measured, her heart now a calm ocean. She aimed for the window, where she knew the source of her torment lay. Time seemed to slow, and the world held its breath, anticipating the release of the arrow that could bring an end to the darkness that had consumed her life.

As she released the arrow, it soared through the air, cutting through the silence of the night with a purposeful swish. The moment the arrow hit its target, the glowing window shattered into a thousand pieces, sending shards of glass cascading down like twinkling stars.

Onyx's heart raced as the echoes of her shot reverberated through the castle walls. For a brief moment, she felt an overwhelming sense of power and liberation, as if the release of the arrow had freed not only her physical self but her spirit as well. The sound of the shattering glass pierced her skull as her arrow shattered the glowing window.

Inside the room, a startled gasp echoed through the Queen's chamber, followed by a series of urgent footsteps and hushed voices. Onyx knew that her actions had caused a stir, and she welcomed it. It was time for the truth to come to light, for the Queen to face the consequences of her actions.

Onyx glanced down to see Rok looking up at her, his worried expression spreading across his face like ripples in a pond. His spooked eyes darted from the shattered window to her and back again, as if trying to convey a message without words.

Onyx had shot an arrow through the Queen's window, and guards were soon to be after her. She looked over the ledge to the ground, calculating in her mind how far of a jump it would be. The ground below seemed far, and a misstep could lead to disaster. The realization that she had just shot an arrow through the Queen's window dawned on her, and she knew she had little time before guards would come searching for the intruder.

"Do it Onyx, Do it!" her mind screamed at her, there was only one way down at this point. Without another thought she jumped, flinging herself off the ledge onto the hard ground beneath her. With a thud she fell, for a moment the air escaped her longs. For an even longer moment she was paralyzed.

"Onyx get up! We need to get out of here!" She heard Rok's voice, although it seemed far away. Muffled. She struggled to push past the daze that enveloped her as she lay on the ground. Her body ached from the impact, but she knew she couldn't afford to stay down. Rok's urgent voice reached her ears, pulling her back to reality. With a surge of determination, she forced herself to her feet, shaking off the shock that threatened to overwhelm her.

She stumbled towards her steed, her legs protested with every step. "Rok, can you help me up on my horse?" she asked Rok, grimacing through the pain in her legs.

Without a single word Rok came, grabbed her hips, tossing her upon her horse with a rushing force. With a grone she sat up, positioning her uncooperative legs in the stirrups. Rok mounted his steed with haste and without hesitation they snapped their reins, racing blindly through the night.

She felt a mixture of pain and adrenaline coursing through her as they rode, her heart pounding in her chest. The night air whipped against her face, and the sound of hooves echoed in her ears. Every jolt of the horse beneath her sent a jolt of pain through her body, but she gritted her teeth and pushed through it. There was no time to slow down or look back. In the distance, she could hear the alarm bells ringing in the castle, and she knew that guards were already in pursuit.