43

Chapter 43 – She Was on My Mind

Winifred felt a pain in her chest and even couldn’t breathe.

That b*tch schemed her!

“Son, you need to help mom.”

Nathaniel looked cold as if it had nothing to do with him. Winifred panicked.

“I was crazy to spend 40 million to buy a necklace. I don’t have that much money!”

She said regretfully and observed Nathaniel’s reaction.

Nathaniel knew she was making a show.

He put the tablet on the table. He glanced at Janet, Orville, and the necklace.

His face was expressionless but scary.

“As I said, I wouldn’t pay for it.”

Winifred was anxious and annoyed. How could she have so much money?!

An idea occurred to her mind, “I bought this for your wedding gift. But I didn’t expect it was so expensive…”

“Since it’s a gift from you, it’s only appropriate for you to pay for it.”

Nathaniel was firm. He was thinking about Janet’s smile.

He didn’t say more.

“Son, you have to save mom!”

“I was impulsive. You don’t want people to laugh at our family. Do you?”

She grabbed his hand and used the family’s reputation to make him give in.

However, Nathaniel was not stup*d.

Her words wouldn’t threaten him.

“I can help you.” He said. Winifred’s eyes lit up. “You pay as much as you can. I will pay for the rest.”

“What?”

She felt disappointed.

She only had one million!

She wanted to beg again. Quintina stopped her.

“Mom, stop begging. Brother won’t help you if you annoy him.”

She frantically winked at Winifred.

He already said he would help.

Winifred had to say, “Fine…”

“Well, you need to write an IOU and pay me back later,” Nathaniel said seriously.

He must let her learn this lesson and never do it again.

1/2

Winifred jumped up from her chair in shock.

She said with strong disbelief, “I’m your mother! How could you ask your mother to write an IOU?”

Nathaniel didn’t speak.

Quintina complained.

“Mom, you were insane. Forty million was outrageous!”

“Shut up!”

Winifred shouted at Quintina.

“It’s all your fault. If it weren’t for you, I wouldn’t be so impulsive.”

She didn’t dare to be angry with Nathaniel, so she blurted out her anger to Quintina.

Quintina trembled in fright and felt wronged.

She refuted, “You raised the number plate, not I.” Her eyes turned red.

Someone knocked on the booth door.

It was Lennon.

The price was too high. He needed to handle it himself.

“I brought you the necklace. For your sake, I will give you a discount. What do you think, Mr. Webster?”

Lennon was shocked by Winifred’s stup*dity too. He didn’t think she would follow up.

Winifred’s eyes lit up, “It’s so nice of you to give us a discount. By the way, can I pay you afterward?”

The boss of the auction was Nathaniel’s friend. A friend shouldn’t accept her money!

“I__”

Lennon was a bit embarrassed.

Nathaniel interrupted him, “Don’t break the rules. We don’t need the discount.”

He had decided to let his mother learn this lesson.

“Son!”

Winifred was anxious.

Lennon breathed a sigh of relief, “If you say so. Mrs. Webster, this is the necklace. Please swipe the card.”

He never thought of giving them a discount. What he said earlier was only trying to be nice.

How could Winifred have 40 million in her account?

She wrote an IOU and gave it to Nathaniel. She would never forgive Janet.

She was an evil b*tch!