Chapter 44: The Bitter Truth

*KAT'S EXTREMELY PATIENT WATTPAD READERS SCREAM IN MIXED EMOTIONS INCLUDING ANGER AND SADNESS THAT EVENTUALLY END IN LOVE BECAUSE I AM YOUR MOMMA

*PLUS MOMMA'S STILL BEEN COOKING THAT GOOD-GOOD WRITING WITH DIMBFF AND KDLN SO CLEARLY I LOVE YOU BACK*

OK LET'S DO THIS THANG BABAY

"Fico could stuff me in a cannoli and fill me with his RICOTTA and eat me, and I'd say THANK YOU." - Me

***

 I should've told Fico the truth.

The closer we got to the venue the more it weighed on me. The test had said I was pregnant. The more I thought about that little plus sign, the more it was feeling very real. An actual little human would come out of my body.

I hadn't given children any thought. Not at my age, I was too young. My life had hardly begun, and what I'd lived so far, at least before Fico Vitali, had been an utter joke. But from the moment I saw that test, I knew I wanted to keep it. And that was a reaction Fico dreaded the most. He'd said to himself, he wasn't ready for a baby.

An insecure part of me still thought he might even leave me over this, especially because I'd lied and kept it a secret. He'd had such a wonderful, caring reaction then at the hotel, but maybe things would have been different if it was a certainty. Maybe if he knew for sure this baby was happening, that's when it would really hit him, too.

Fico's hand curled around my thigh. He'd been quiet the limo ride over, and I wondered what was going through his head.

I felt a sense of panic when the car pulled up to the venue of the ball.

"Did I mention how stunning you look?" Fico whispered it into my ear was filled with an affection that made me feel warm inside.

"Only about a hundred times," I said with batting eyelashes with a casual caress of a finger over my cleavage.

Fico's attention glued to my tits. He looked like he wanted to tear the dress off of me and fuck me in the limo. "If the men at this event are smart, they won't even look your way," he said in a low, rough voice.

"Oh yeah? Maybe you should put a garbage bag over my body then."
"Or I can just fuck you in the venue and make sure everybody knows you're mine." Fico's hand discreetly slid between my thighs to touch me, a sly smirk on his gorgeous mouth, and I giggled and swatted him away.

"Hands off, werewolf. I'm not getting a drop of your spunk on this dress."

The pirate arched a brow. "Yet."

Fico slid out of the limo first and offered me a hand. He looked so damn sexy in his all-black tuxedo. His black hair was styled away from his tan, beautiful features. He wore his eyepatch. I had a feeling it had been difficult decision, something he was still insecure about. I couldn't even imagine what was going through his head that he would see Gasparro again, the man who killed his father and took his eye.

Where Fico looked calm and collected, having a brief conversation with Robert at his side, I felt a swell of anxiety and a little bit nauseous. I watched the elegant couples ahead of us walk inside and wondered how many of them were criminals. Some of them were older men with younger, beautiful women at their side. How many of them were killers. Drug dealers. Drug distributers.

Villains, like the man at my side.

Fico took my hand in a firm grasp. The inside of the venue was fancy with Italian accents and authentic art. There was even a piano player in the main ballroom.