14

Mira and Gwen walked along the corridor chattering to each other about different things. "No, I'm sorry. The tall one on the right was much nicer looking" Gwen insisted.

"Seriously? I thought the left was more, you know..." Mira trailed off.

"More?" the maid prompted.

"More, well, muscular and he was only a bit smaller, probably an inch". They were talking about the two soldiers who guarded the gates in the courtyard at around noon everyday.

"More muscular? I have met tons of people more good looking!" Gwen persisted.

"Oh really?" Mira grinned.

"Yes" Gwen nodded proudly. Mira made a coughing sound saying Lancelot. Gwen blushed and giggled. "I was just making an observation".

"So was I" Mira laughed,"But you are right now that I think about it, the taller one was slightly more good looking".

"See!" Gwen laughed again.

Just then they heard footsteps and all the Knights, Arthur and Merlin rounded the corner. The womens' laughs died and they each blushed as they curtsied.

"Oh, what were you talking about?" questioned Gwaine when they reached the Ladies.

"Nothing" they both said at the same time.

"Then there must be something" Elyan stated.

"Obviously it was me" Gwaine went on as if it were obvious.

"Of course it was darling" Mira said putting a hand on his shoulder and walking passed them.

"Eh, where are you going?" he called.

"For a ride" she replied, but she kept walking, knowing what his reaction would be.

"Are you serious?" he asked and the others all looked at him like he was going round the twist. Mira kept walking with Gwen giving her strange looks beside her. Gwaine ran and caught up with her. "Mira" he started putting his hands on her shoulders and standing in front of her.

"Come on Gwaine, its just for an hour or two, we won't go too far" she pleaded.

"Mira, you are now my Ward, so I'm legally your guardian-".

"You've always been my guardian" she interrupted with a smile.

Arthur and Merlin exchanged a glance, each now seriously wondering what the hell was going on.

"Mira I love you and you're like my sister, I don't want anything to happen to you" he went on.

"Gwaine, I'll be fine" Mira promised, speaking softly,"You know I wouldn't say it if I wasn't certain. Besides I have Gwen". He considered this. "You trust me don't you?" she smiled warmly at him.

"You know I do. But if you're going then please take someone with you and take this" Gwaine handed her his sword.

"Alright" she smiled in defeat. She took it and strapped it to her belt. He looked back at the others.

"Well?" he called.

They all looked at each other. "We have training" said Leon. So of course, all eyes turned to Merlin.

"You can go" said Arthur, volunteering him. Merlin nodded and handed Arthur's cloak to him, including his shield.

"Merlin, take care of her" Gwaine murmured to him.

"Of course" Merlin smiled reassuringly.

"But don't be home late, I'm expecting dinner" he added pointing a finger at her.

———————————————————————————                                                   

"I'm sorry we dragged you away from the others Merlin" Mira apologised when they were out in the woods.

"Its fine, I'm delighted actually" he laughed. She smiled, relieved that he wasn't annoyed or anything. "Do you mind me asking my Lady, but why didn't Gwaine want you to come?" Merlin continued.

"First, please call me Mira" then she hesitated,"Well, em, I guess he was just worried. Gwaine has always been an older brother to me and he always thinks that somethings going to happen. I suppose, since I'm only in Camelot a short time, he's just being protective".

Everything she said was the truth but she knew that Gwaine was worried for different reasons. Mira was nervous in the forest but she knew that she had to go out, at least without Gwaine, to show herself that everything was alright and that she was starting a better life. Merlin wasn't convinced that that was the answer but he didn't push it, so he just nodded.

Now Gwen was starting to notice something, like the gap in Mira's story from the time after her Father died to the time when she went to the convent. Mira moved the conversation along and soon they were all chatting.

"Okay, so you're telling me that Gwaine got nearly everyone, and I mean everyone, in the tavern a drink?" asked Mira, bewildered.

"Yeah, and don't forget the dozen pickled eggs" replied Merlin.

"Two dozen" corrected Gwen.

"Oh right, two" he laughed,"Arthur payed and made Gwaine and I clean all his boots".

"Well at least he payed" tryed Mira.

"Gwaine still wasn't happy though" replied Merlin.

"I bet he wasn't!" she giggled,"Cleaning and Gwaine don't mix, but the tavern is a different story".  They all laughed.

"So do you enjoy riding?" asked Gwen.

"Yes, my Father taught me when I was young. He gave me Raven for my eleventh birthday" she said slowly, trying to remember if that was right,"It was just before he died".

"How did he die?" Gwen questioned carefully, knowing it was a touchy subject but she couldn't remember.

"Hunting accident" Mira replied, although she didn't believe that,"Apparently his horse reared and he fell off, when he stood up one of the men thought he was an animal as they couldn't see him because of the trees. They shot him with their crossbow, he died almost instantly".

"I'm sorry" Gwen apologised.

"Don't be, wasn't your fault".

"Do you know who killed him?" asked Merlin.

"No one owned up, they said it was better not to know. But I have a fair idea who it was" Mira added bitterly, she couldn't help herself. They didn't press any further, but instead they decided to show Mira the Lake of Avalon.

She thought it was stunning of course!

They stopped for awhile and talked, each getting to know one another more. Merlin knew he was right, Mira was different, in a good way. Eventually dragging themselves away from the Lake, that reminded Merlin too much of Freya, they went back to Camelot. They raced their horses back through the woods towards Camelot, each coming very close to winning.