22

The second day of the Joust went well, Arthur got through to Mira's delight, Lancelot got through, Gwaine did, Leon did, but Percival and Elyan didn't for some freak reason. Then on day three Leon got thrown, day four it was Gwaine. Now it was the fifth and final day, the only two Knights Mira knew personally were Lancelot and Arthur. There were four more Knights as well.

Prince Arthur had always made sure to see Mira before or after a round, it was possibly the only time he would be able to without someone breathing down his neck saying that he was the Prince and he couldn't just talk to someone so freely. He found himself thinking about her often but always tried to shake the feeling away. Arthur scanned the crowd as he usually did and found Mira near his Father's section. "Sire" he heard Merlin come up beside him. Arthur gave him a small smile and hoisted himself up into his horse's saddle. His servant handed him his lance and the Prince closed the visor on his helmet. "Good luck" wished Merlin happily.

"Thanks" Arthur replied, his voice echoing because of the metal of his helmet. He clucked to his horse and urged it on towards the starting line.

The crowd cheered as the Prince and his opponent got ready for the first match of the day. Mira bit her lip when the man with the flag pulled it up and raced for the sidelines as the two horses raced towards each other. Arthur breathed heavily as he got his lance into position, he watched as his opponent grew closer then, CRASH! His lance met its victim and the Knight fell, landing hard on his shoulder. The crowd gasped and then cheered. Mira breathed a sigh of relief and smiled while clapping, but she couldn't help noticing the poor Knight who lay on the ground in pain while Gaius tended to him. Two guards lifted him on to a stretcher and took him away from the track.

Lancelot defeated his first opponent as well, but received a nasty hit in the process, luckily staying on. But going into the second match with an injury is not good. Gwen squeezed Mira's hand. He got two more hits and he dealt his opponent one but when the Knight dealt Lancelot another blow he lost and fell. Gwen ran down to join him in his tent to make sure he was alright.

So this is what Knights do for sport, Mira thought, The poor men. And people call it entertainment!

She had to admit, even though five of her friends (including the man who was a brother to her) had fallen off horses at who knows what speed, it did keep her on the edge of her seat and was enjoyable (not the part when one of her friends got thrown off though).

Now this Knight was in the final with Arthur. And he was good. He'd taken men off their horses with one strike, he was from outside the City. Mira saw Gaius making his way through the crowds in the stands and she waved him over, he took Gwen's spot beside her. "Ah, how are you enjoying the Joust?" he asked, loudly to be heard over the crowds.

"Very much, but how is Lancelot?".

"He's bruised and injured, but no broken bones, thank goodness. He'll make a full recovery, Gwen is with him".

Mira nodded. "Have you spoken to the Prince?".

"Yes".

"How is he?".

"Fine I think, he's preparing. Should be out any minute now".

As if on cue, the Knight who'd beaten Lancelot appeared on the track. The crowd began to cheer but they got louder when Arthur rode out on the opposite side. Mira craned her neck to see him better, his armour was shining against the evening sun and she wished above everything that he was going to be alright.

———————————————————————————

Arthur looked through his visor at his opponent and readied himself. He looked over at the crowds and saw Mira faintly, he felt her token on his arm and felt better because of it. He turned back and waited.

The flag was raised.

The Prince urged his horse to go and the two men were off. The horses galloping forwards at extremely high speed, inching closer to each other every second. Suddenly with a jolt, the Knight moved his lance away from Arthur, he looked like he was starting to fall off his saddle. Arthur had to think quick. He pulled up his lance just in time, allowing the Knight to pass. There was cheering from the crowd. He reached the end of the lane and turned his horse around. He glanced up at his Father who was looking at him. Even from a distance Arthur could read his expression, he'd seen it many times. Uther's face was hard and he wasn't clapping.

The Prince looked back and saw the man lift the flag. He bolted forward and raised his lance, the King's face darted through his mind and he went to soon. His lance missed the Knight and he managed to get Arthur hard. Searing pain, like being kicked full on by a horse, shot through the side of his chest. He lurched back but held on tight to the reins. One of his stirrups came off and he fell to that side, barely staying on the horse because he nearly wrapped his arm around the poor creature's neck.

Mira gasped and let out a cry as Arthur took a bad blow. She leaned as far forward as she could and gripped the edge of the small wooden wall in front of her that kept people from falling. He stayed on but nearly fell of on the side as he lost his stirrup. There were gasps all around her, shouts and yells. But she hardly noticed; all she could concentrate on was Arthur. His horse stopped at the end of the track and he nearly fell off again with the force of it. He was hunched over, his lance had fallen in the lane and people were retrieving it.

"Arthur" Mira whispered watching wide eyed as Merlin helped him get positioned. She felt a hand on her shoulder and turned to see Gaius pulling her back, she let him but he kept a hand on her arm. The old Physician had gone completely pale. "Gaius, what was that? He's never done that before, it's not like him" Mira said quietly.

"I...I know, he must have been distracted, or misjudged it" he murmured.

Arthur grunted as he got back in position. "Arthur! Are you alright?!" exclaimed Merlin running over to the Prince.

"Yeah" the Prince grunted taking his lance off a guard.

"Sure? If you need Gaius I'll go get him" said Merlin.

"I'll be fine" Arthur replied. Merlin nodded, still unsure, and reluctantly left to go back to his post on the sidelines.

The two men got ready. The flag was raised and they spurred their horses on. They raised their lances and waited for the opportunity. Arthur thought about his Father, he needed to make him proud; he thought about his people, showing that he wasn't weak; and about Mira, how he wanted to impress her, see her smile at him because he'd won.

Arthur's heart sped up and thumped loudly in his chest, his opponent came closer.

Then it happened. Arthur lunged forward and felt his lance press against something hard. The Knight was thrown off his horse with such force that he landed on his back. The Prince's horse stopped at the end of the track and the crowd erupted into cheering.

Mira clapped and was so happy that a massive smile broke out on her face, Gaius went to attend to the other man so she was left alone. Arthur rode up to the stands and stopped his horse in front of the King, he took off his helmet and bowed his head like the victors do. Uther went on to say how his victory was commendable and a great banquet would be held in his honour. The crowds cheered even louder, he had won their respect.

Because he was close to the stands Arthur could see Mira clearly and he caught her eye. Her smile grew even wider and his grew slightly as well but he tried to hide it.

He'd won her smile, just as he'd hoped.