20

King Uther sat in his chair, the blanket draped around his shoulders, the cold, dark morning light shining in through the window. There were dark shadows under his eyes and for once the King looked weak. Hushed murmurs could be heard by the door but he hardly noticed, lost in his own mind. Thoughts of Morgana echoed inside him, thinking about the beautiful young girl with black hair who had grown up to betray him, how she'd looked at him with such hatred and loathing.

"Mira, can you keep an eye on him while I talk to Arthur?" whispered Gaius.

"Yes, of course. Take as long as you need, Gwen and I will look after him" Mira assured. She had been with Gaius when he'd been asked to go see Uther, and the Physician wasn't happy. He nodded and left, leaving a small bottle behind that, if needed, would calm Uther's nerves. He also left a sleeping draught.

Mira took a tray of food off Gwen and walked cautiously over to the King, she placed the tray on the table. He didn't touch it, or even blink an eyelid in her direction. "Will you eat anything Sire?" Mira asked softly.

"You are the Knight's Ward" Uther spoke slowly and tiredly.

"Yes, my Lord".

He looked at her for a few moments before going back to his original position and picking up his glass of water. The King didn't say anything else. Eventually he fell asleep, Mira gently fixed the blanket on his shoulders so it covered him more and she took the food away. Gwen gave her a sad smile and took the tray, taking it down to the Kitchens.

——————————————————————————

About an hour later there was a quiet knock on the door, Gwen went to answer it and Arthur, Merlin and Gaius appeared. Mira walked over to King Uther and crouched beside his chair.

"Sire" she touched his shoulder lightly and his eyes opened. "Sire, Prince Arthur is here". He just glanced over her shoulder at Arthur who walked over carefully. She stood up and curtsied to the Prince before walking over to the others.

"Father?" started Arthur, sitting in the chair opposite.

"Arthur" greeted Uther tiredly.

"Thank you for your help Mira, you don't need to stay any longer" murmured Gaius with a small smile. "Let me know if you need me Gaius" she whispered putting a hand on his arm. He patted her hand and she left with Gwen.

———————————————————————————
"Why do you think Uther asked me was I Gwaine's Ward?" asked Mira quietly later in the evening. She had her arms wrapped around her knees while she sat in one of the armchairs gazing at the fire. "

The King loved Morgana very much Mira, she was his own Ward. Maybe you remind him of her" answered Gwen sadly, sitting in the chair beside her.

"Because I'm Gwaine's" Mira nodded.

"Exactly".

"Do I ever remind you of her?" Mira asked carefully.

Guinevere thought for a moment. "No, not really. I mean, you're both beautiful, and don't try to deny it" Gwen laughed as Mira began was about to protest. "Morgana used to be very kind like you, but other than that you're different people. You know that Morgana went missing for a year, well after she came back it was almost like...she was different, she had changed. Don't worry about anything like that Mira, it's not wise. You are not Morgana, that's all that matters".

Mira smiled at Gwen gratefully. She had heard about the Lady Morgana's story from Gwen, Gaius, Merlin and Gwaine; each time it saddened her. She had been told about what a lovely person Morgana had been and how she'd changed because of her hatred of Uther.

———————————————————————————

Mira walked down the corridor towards Gaius's chambers, it was just after dusk but she wanted to know whether the King was any better.

"Mira!".

There was a call from behind her and she turned to see Prince Arthur walking towards her. She stopped walking and curtsied. "Sire".

"How are you this evening?".

"Fine, thank you. And you my Lord?" she asked.

"Please, it's Arthur" he smiled,"I'm fine". She nodded and smiled, they were quiet. "Mira, I...I wanted to say thank you" Arthur started after a while.

"For what?" she questioned, puzzled.

"For looking after my Father earlier. I'm very grateful".

"Believe me Sire, I didn't mind at all. You don't need to thank me. How is the King?".

"He's...he's tired" Arthur replied.

"I hope he recovers soon" Mira gave him a small smile.

"I'm sorry I must be keeping you" he said.

"No actually, I'd been going to see Gaius to ask about the King, but you've saved me from going".

"Well, can I escort you back to your chambers?".

"Please Sire, you don't have to trouble yourself".

"It wouldn't be" Arthur smiled.

They walked back in the direction of her chambers and he asked her had she seen Gwaine, she said she had but that he was in the tavern. The Prince laughed at that saying that all the Knights were down there.

"This is me, thank you Sire" Mira said gesturing to her door.

"It was my pleasure....So between the Knights, who would you actually pick to support?" he laughed.

"I don't know" she giggled.

"Come on, between you and me. I won't tell them" Arthur grinned.

"I wasn't lying when I said I like them all equally. But Gwaine is my guardian" Mira laughed.

"Of course, but they will be disappointed" he chuckled.

"I'm sure they have lots of supporters" she smiled,"Goodnight Sire".

"Goodnight Mira" Arthur smiled kissing her hand.

She walked into her chambers and closed the door behind her. Mira bit her lip to try and get rid of the massive smile on her face, while Arthur walked away almost forgetting his worries.

——————————————————————————

"Ahh!" Mira gasped. She bolted upright and looked around frantically. Her eyes adjusted to the darkness. She had been asleep but there had been a massive bang and she'd woken. Now she saw her curtains blowing and she quickly slipped out of bed and drew them back. One of the windows was open and banging against the wall because of the wind. She quickly closed it to block out the lashing rain outside. Mira closed the curtain and went back to bed. It took her a few minutes to close her eyes.

Odd, she thought, I thought Gwen had locked the window.