Chapter 45

Autumn nodded. "It might be, but they are my parents. I will never bear it if anything happens to them," he smiled. He could tell she was falling deeper and deeper into his trap, giving him leverage over her in ways she would never know.

"Let's just say if a truck or bus hits them, you know, for hurting you. Let's just say God punished them. Will it break your heart?" He referred to himself when he said, but she doesn't have to know that.

Stunned by his odd question, Autumn agitatedly responded. "Who would ask such a question?" She was worried that speaking those inauspicious words might actually harm her parents.

In response, he chuckled. "Anything can happen to anyone, anywhere. Your parents aren't immune to death, are they?"

"Stop it," she raised her voice, despite not wanting to. She closed her eyes, not wanting to listen to him at all. It made her sad she would lose them. Anger grated her nerves. What kind of priest speaks less than pleasant words?

"Oh, but I won't," he even aggravated her. Her anger was cute and amusing to him. She can yell at him all she wants, but the truth is that her parents will face him if they ever try to hurt her.

"You know nothing about them," Autumn hissed through clenched teeth. The air she drew in through her nostrils did not contain her sorrow. His words, insinuating the possibility of people dying, were weighing heavily on her emotions.

"Indulge me," he replied, folding his hands with amusement, relishing in her small outburst.

"You sound like my boss," he sounded like Zyler. Confident, arrogant, and cocky.

"How does your boss sound?" He wanted to know what she thought of him. He had an idea that she might think of him. He is sure she thinks of him as a cocky and evil bastard, but he wants to hear it from her mouth.

"He is the human version of Anaconda. Wraps around people, sucking the essence out of them," she squeamishly shook her body. Zyler's mind traveled somewhere else. Well, he did suck her essence out of her.

"I will tell you a secret, Father," she hushed, asking him to come closer, and he did. "Suppose Voldemort and Vecna had a baby. It would be him. The evil spawn of the devil," she cutely pouted. She pouted cutely, her words laced with a hint of playful exaggeration. Zyler bit his lip, struggling to contain his laughter and maintain his priestly composure. "I mean, seriously, who gave him a license to be this diabolical?"

This side of hers was new to him. She had seen timid Autumn, brave and irritated Autumn, but playful Autumn. He hadn't seen her yet. How many sides does this girl even have?

"You aren't a fan of him, are you?" Oh, he will punish her to his heart's content.

"Let's just say. God must've handed him to the devil to make him. I swear I've seen horns sprouting from his head whenever he gets angry or annoyed," she imagined him with horns and a red tail bursting into giggles.

Autumn smirked, a twinkle in her eye. "If there were a 'World's evil boss' award, he would be a strong contender. I've seen him grow virtual horns on his head, and his scowl could put the Grinch to shame. He's like a walking sitcom villain!"

"I'm pretty sure he was dropped on his head as a baby. I mean, who else would treat people like that?" she exclaimed, a playful grin dancing on her lips. The image of him tumbling down as a baby sent her into laughter.

Zyler sat there listening to her ramble. Oh, baby girl, you have no clue how you will be punished later. Startling him, she looked at her phone. "God, it's been an hour since I have been here. I need to get back," she grabbed her bag, running out of the church before he could stop her.