Chapter 85

He gently applied the body wash to her skin, his hands moving in soothing circles. "Feeling sore?" he inquired, easing a tense spot on her shoulder with practiced fingers.

"Just a bit," she replied, a soft sigh escaping her as his touch eased the tension.

"Something on your mind?" he probed, sensing her inner turmoil.

"April?" He paused his movements and turned her to face him, understanding her deep concern for her sister.

Autumn nodded. "I can't help feeling guilty. Here I am, finding moments of joy with you while she's struggling."

"But she's safe, right? And she's with us," he reassured her, gently kissing her shoulder.

"I know, but I can't shake the feeling she might be unhappy. It's hard to tell."

"Has she mentioned feeling that way?" he asked, his fingers softly combing through her hair, a gesture that momentarily lightened her worries.

"I feel like it's partly my responsibility to ensure she's well. It's just... April's been through so much. Liam, her marriage with him, the loss of her child..." Autumn hesitated, her voice trailing off.

"Did you tell her that she lost her child?" he asked, concern lacing his voice.

"No, I can't bear to. It would crush her," she replied, seeking comfort in his embrace.

"But she deserves to know the truth, don't you think? She's stronger than you believe," he gently suggested, cradling her in his arms.

His words made sense to her. Shouldn't she be the one to tell her that she had lost her child?

"I just want to protect her from any more pain," she whispered, closing her eyes against the weight of her worries.

"Yes, you're right," he said softly, offering comfort and a nudge toward facing the brutal reality. "She's resilient, stronger than we often give her credit for. Keeping this from her might seem like protection, but it's a disservice. She deserves to know and face this with the support of those who love her. It could hurt her even more if she finds out later that we hid this from her. We need to trust in her strength and be there for her, no matter how hard the conversation."

Autumn mulled over his words, a spark of realization in her eyes. "And when did you turn into such a philosopher?" she teased, playfully tugging at his cheeks, drawing an exaggerated gasp.

"Hey, no one's ever dared to baby the mafia boss like this," he retorted with mock indignation, spinning her around in a playful dance of power.

She countered with a cheeky grin, pinching his nose lightly. "Well, this so-called mafia lord has finally met his match—a queen who reigns supreme over his heart."

With a wink of mischief, she added, "And don't you forget it."

Embracing her with a feigned grumble, he whispered, "As if I could. You've got me wrapped around your little finger, my queen."

She came out of the bathroom, dressed for the day. She strolled into the kitchen and saw April standing there with Peaches in her arms.

"April," she called her, and she turned around.

"Did you eat?" she pulled a chair for April.

"No, but can we eat in the garden?" She put the puppy down, and the furry friend ran toward Autumn and started panting. She picked her baby up and walked to the garden.

"Of course, let me get plates," she said, serving pancakes and waffles for both of us and sitting silently when April decided to break the silence.

"So, looks like last night's "talk" went well?" April winked, and Autumn turned red.