Chapter 5: Uncomfortable Revelations

Morgan looked over at him with a frown as Cooper slumped against a crate of dried apples.

"The good doctor and her nymphomaniacs tire you out?" she asked rather drily.

Cooper grimaced.

"If it was a pump and dump, it'd be fine to hit multiples. But they want a little pleasure as a reward for agreeing to be brood mates," he said, looking tiredly at the ceiling.

"Well, I can't blame them there," Morgan said with a sniff. "You're not only pretty damn hot, but you're a god in the sack. I know I never had any complaints about your performance."

Cooper snorted.

"Thanks," he said with a wry smile then frowned. "I dunno. I had trouble getting aroused."

That made Morgan's brow lift in question.

"What??" she asked, unable to keep the surprise out of her voice.

"I know, right? If it was anybody other than you, I wouldn't even say anything. But it was hard to get hard when all I could think of was the guys we lost today, you know?"

"Ah." Morgan nodded in understanding. "I can understand that." She reached out to give his arm a squeeze. "If you need to talk about it ..."

"I will," Cooper said, looking over at her. "Just not yet."

Morgan nodded in understanding a second time. Basically growing up together gave her some insight into the man Cooper had become. Like the need to fully digest the tragedy and loss before he'd talk about it.

"You know where to find me," she said, giving his arm another squeeze before letting him go so he could begin going into his cave to properly brood.

Which Cooper promptly did, making the return trip to Lethbridge a quiet one. Strangely the young rider found his thoughts gravitating to the book the elf gave him. The one that cost him four riders.

In their time on Earth, the elves had shown nothing but contempt for Humanity, treating them as little better than animals. They had spent a good amount of time and effort hunting them down and exterminating them whenever possible.

Seen in the light of colonization and not just occupation, it made more sense now. Regardless, there was only ill will between humans and elves.

Into this verified dynamic this new group of elves arrived with their mysterious book, no doubt written in a language completely alien to him. Not only did they seek him out, but they knew him by name. They knew him by name and knew where he would be with enough accuracy that when they were approached by another group of humans, they knew they could ask to meet with him. Because they knew he'd be nearby.

So what had changed in the last few days that took six years to happen? Who were these elves that wanted to look him up? Were they the same as the rest of them? Or were they somehow different? And what did they want from him??

Cooper was still pondering those questions when they pulled into their Lethbridge base. And all the while as they worked to unload the supplies.

Even after they were done and he got cleaned up to go to Maggie and Trip's trailer for dinner, he found his thoughts consumed by the book, the new group of elves, and the questions he had about them. To the point that both his mom and stepdad immediately noticed.

"Coop, what the hell, man?" Trip rumbled. "We ghosts to you or something?"

Cooper looked up from his plate, his food barely touched.

"Huh? What's that supposed to mean?"

"You're not talking to us, barely touching your food," Maggie pointed out with a disapproving frown. "We expect a little interaction, Coop, being that family dinners are rare nowadays."