Chapter 28: The Dark Web

Passing through that uneasily shifting surface proved the biggest challenge. As it moved with a life of its own, Cooper carefully eased towards the glowing surface, his eyes watching for anything trying to reach and grab him. Only when, after a good minute, nothing appeared did he gather enough courage to step into it.

And immediately stepped back out into another approach, the partial tunnel surrounded by an almost identical trade town. Only by looking into the distance and seeing a vast cave entrance with a city climbing up its inner edge to extend out onto the ceiling in magical denial of gravity, did Cooper know he was no longer near Eska.

And looking out the kilometer high entrance, he could see two Luna-sized moons visibly moving past a ringed, purple gas giant in the distance that, despite being obviously far away, dominated the sky. That told him he was still in the Garden, the alternate universe powered by magic, not mundane science.

Then Kaisea was slipping her hand into his to quickly get his attention.

"See those twisted rope arches to the left?" she leaned close to say. Turning his head enough, Cooper caught sight of them over the dark roofs of the hub.

"Yup."

"Those are fast track gates and come in pairs, one for incoming and one outgoing. They'll jump us to this world's other approach," she said as she tangled their fingers together and gave his hand a squeeze. "If we see more than one set, that means the world has connections to multiple worlds."

Cooper slowly nodded as he absorbed that.

"The fast tracks will have symbols on them to tell us which planet the next approach is linked to, right?"

"Exactly. Now, should the need arise, there are sorcerers in town that offer personal gates to the access points, but they charge a considerable amount," Kaisea continued. "And not always money. Sometimes they ask for an animal, or a rare substance. Sometimes even bodily fluids, depending on what spells they are working on, like urine, saliva, blood, and even semen."

Cooper snorted.

"Yeah, we'd have to be pretty desperate before I agree to sit down and rub one out for some magic spell," he flatly stated.

"It wouldn't be so bad," Kaisea said. "With my help, it could actually be fun!"

Cooper looked over at her with a raised brow. And found Kaisea smiling playfully, and not a little hopefully, her eyes wide as she returned his gaze.

"C'mon, Cooper, admit it," she said when he remained silent at the subtle offer, giving his hand another squeeze. "We were very, very good, you and I. Every time we were together, we had maximum resonance, the blood fire was instant and we climaxed at the same time."

Cooper looked at her for another moment before sighing and nodding.

"We were amazing together," he admitted. "And if we have to ..." Then he carefully extracted his hand from Kaisea's.

"But this is no getaway from Eska so you and I can be together, Kaisea. This is a mission to save two universes and two separate species. I'm not sure what your ultimate motive is, but I'll tell you mine. To defeat the Empire and save my people. Nothing less. Because anything less and humans will disappear!"

The noriquien woman returned his gaze for a moment without saying anything. Then she stepped forward to lightly but tenderly kiss him on the cheek, letting her lips linger on his rough, whiskery cheek as she lifted a hand to his other cheek to hold herself against him.

"I won't deny it, Cooper," she whispered against his skin. "I like you. Alot! That affection is definitely a contributing factor to me being here, wanting to help you. Not to mention the sex is mind blowing. But, unlike my mother, who thinks political gain and advantage for herself is more important than the safety of our people, I too want to see the Empire defeated on all fronts. And you are the force that will accomplish that."