Chapter 38: A Refining Fire

A certain dokkersvelf he had met in the planar realm returned Cooper's confused look for a long moment, his own expression parts incredulous disbelief. And naked joy and relief to be free of his eternal internment in the Eternal Forest. Then Cooper's surprised look deepened even further when first Theron stepped out from behind Kennedy, followed shortly by Saddahk, still in were-form. A were-form that, as he focused on it, became smoother and closer to elven in appearance.

"And not just you, apparently."

"It was an opportunity we couldn't let slip through our talons, human," Saddahk said, Theron nodding in agreement. "The Ascended never send mortals back to Reality. Even after you fulfill their requests by their own laws!"

Cooper frowned. And not because the three of them were quite naked, although that was somewhat disconcerting. No, it was learning that Woody the sprite was wrong. There really wasn't any way he could've escaped, currying favor notwithstanding.

A grim smile then touched his lips. Just as well he forced that god's hand. Or he'd still be fighting in whatever war he almost was drafted into by a giant frickin' hand, the one being fought by the army his three new friends belonged to.

Then he wiped the smile off his face. Regardless of how he got back to the Garden, he needed to get back to the business at hand. And that was ripping the imperial dragon military apart from the inside! Next target: General Zrakesh.

Another snarling roar from overhead pulled all four into looking upwards.

"That's an attack formation," Saddahk noted with dismay.

"Yup," Cooper said, the dragons close enough that they triggered his targeting map.

"Where ... are we?" Theron hesitantly asked.

"Neladrin," Cooper replied before dropping his gaze to look at the other three. "The ancient birthplace of the Noriquien elves!"

"I can't say I'm familiar. With either the place or the Noriquien themselves!" Kennedy said with a frown before looking at the other two. "Theron? Saddahk?"

The other elf quickly shook his head.

"The Noriquien are unknown to me," he admitted even as the were-form also shook his head in the negative. "I was banished by the Sidhe for attempting to interact with humans during an expedition across the Void to their world."

That earned Theron a quick look from Cooper. Sidhe; that was a name of one of the original elven races to reach Earth through the barrier separating the universes. A race that no longer existed. It might be worth asking the tanned elf a question or two about that, because if he was from that long ago, he might've been alive when the dragons first crafted the Crown of Oberon.

Then he was looking over at the dragon in were-form. Speaking of creatures that were alive a long time ago ... He needed to have a conversation with that guy, too. For the same damn reason.

Another flight of dragons going overhead momentarily distracted him from his intent and he looked up. 'But first, we need to get out of this damn hole in the ground,' he grimly thought.

"Anybody see a ladder, or an elevator of any kind?" he asked. "Something that'll get us out of this hole?" He let his eyes drop back to the were-form. "Unless you want to go full dragon and fly us out of here."

Saddahk quickly frowned.

"I don't do passengers," he said in a tone of voice that didn't allow for discussion.

Cooper shrugged. Just as well. Riding on a dragon as a dragon hunter would've been taking things just a little too far. And just a little weird.

"Ladder or elevator it is," he said. Picking the edge of the overlook closest to the walls, the human turned and began jogging lightly towards it.