Chapter 37: Gods and Monsters

He wasn't very big, easily a full foot shorter than the grim dragon hunter, lithe and athletic in a gymnast sort of way. He was also leaning against one of the big trees that Cooper could now see, arms folded, his body sheathed in dark blue leather and his wavy hair cut short and combed back. In fact, if Cooper didn't know better, he'd say this guy was human. Except for the fact that his skin kept changing to a different shade of the known human racial spectrum, his eyes and hair shifting color to match.

That being said, the newcomer exuded power on a level Cooper had never before experienced, that power radiating away from him like the heat thrown off a runaway nuclear reactor. Seeing Cooper now looking at him, the newcomer smirked.

"So," he said, pushing away from the tree. "You're the one screwing up Dagda's fog of war."

"And you are?" Cooper tautly asked again even as he kept his sword at the ready.

The newcomer managed to smirk in response before Kennedy hoarsely whispered:

"Friend human, what are you doing?" the dokkersvelf asked, eyes wide and his voice filled with uncertainty and not a little fear. His hoarse question was enough to pull Theron and Saddahk to a halt, both looking back at him. And immediately also looking alarmed to see Cooper standing ready to attack, Erabak in his hands.

"It isn't permitted to draw a weapon while still in the encampment!" Theron hissed. "Sheath your sword, human. Or you'll get us all killed!"

Frowning, Cooper looked from Theron back to the newcomer. And discovered his smirk had grown.

"Your fellow mortals don't share your skills, your capabilities, or your gift ..." The newcomer hesitated slightly.

"Dragon hunter."

Cooper's eyes narrowed thoughtfully. Okay, so this asshole knew who he was. And was invisible to the others. There was no way in hell this was ending good.

"Congrats, asshole. You've figured me out. So now what? We see whose sword is the biggest?"

The newcomer laughed lightly.

"You really are abrasive, aren't you, mortal," he said. "If you knew what I truly am ..."

"I wouldn't be mouthing off?" Cooper interjected then snorted. "I do know. You're one of the gods that runs this place. And if you wanted me dead, I would already be so."

The newcomer folded his arms and nodded.

"Indeed," he agreed. "Not only gifted, but unusually clever for a creature so fragile. Where is it again that you come from, mortal? Dirt? Soil?"

"Earth," Cooper cooly corrected, staring hard at the slender figure. Why do alien clowns like this guy think it's so damn funny to mis-name a planet?? Like seriously, bud, suck a bag of eggs!!

The newcomer smiled thinly at both Cooper's tone and the hard expression on the human's face.

"Right. Earth. An appropriate name for a world that has been non-magical for centuries. Yet, this is where the elves of the Garden decide to retreat to, in their war against the Flame Empire of Scale. Makes me wonder why."

Huh. Guy actually knew what was going on. Which, of course, begged the question: was he neutral with his support? Or did he support one side versus the other?

Before Cooper could boldly ask this 'god' those self same questions, the slender being was speaking again.

"Come to think of it, I'm also wondering why you are here, mortal," the being said musingly. "Instead of back in the Garden slaughtering your way through imperial dragons to the Keffi Ark Monastery on Kulda'ark."