Chapter 8: City of Gardens

Cooper stayed quiet as their small company stepped through the open gates on the south side of the city, a pair of massive stone and metal-strapped portals that floated above the ground via some invisible force. A gate that was heavily defended by at least a couple dozen elves, each armed with spears, swords, shields and bows, armored in what appeared to be lacquered leather of some sort. It was only when he passed close enough to one of them and found his dragon sense triggering that he realized where the leather came from.

Dragon scales. The elves were armoring themselves in the very material dragon fire should have little to no effect on. So they obviously were unaware of the civil war between the Empire and the Confederacy, where dragonflame was used to great effect against other dragons. Then they were stepping through a wall of blue light.

"Don't worry, Cooper Jacks," Kith leaned in to say in a whisper as he looked with narrowed eyes at the casters standing in a circle at one side of the heavily defended gate, a circle that was matched on the other side.

"They scan for dragons in were-form only. Your humanity will not trigger the alarm."

Cooper sighed with relief. That, of course, would've been helpful information before he stepped through the light. Then, for a second, he was offended. Not scanning for humans? 'Why not? We're dangerous ...!'

Cooper almost snorted as he cut that train of thought off at the knees. Versus the magical powers of the elves? No, Humanity wasn't dangerous! Losing a war of extermination was proof of that. Then his mind went quiet as his vision was filled with the wonders of a magical elf city.

First thing he noticed was that everything floated on invisible weaves of light. Doors, fountains, animated servants of stone and marble, everything! Next thing he noticed was how much greenery there was everywhere. Parks and boulevards with floating planter pots filled with bright, alien flowers and entire multi-tiered gardens. Floating, of course.

"It's a lot to take in, I imagine," Kith remarked as he followed Cooper's darting eyes. "Just don't swing your head so violently. It'll tell those that watch us, that you're not used to such grandeur. Which may suggest you're not elven."

Fuck. He didn't even think of that, rubbernecking like a tourist as he was. Humans did the same thing to tell if somebody is new. Just look for the guy or girl that needs to see every little thing. And if Kith hadn't noticed, he'd still be doing it.

Nodding in acknowledgement, Cooper forced himself to stop looking wildly about at the amazing and incredible sights of the magical city. And he stayed that was as the small company made their way along a couple dozen blocks.

Then, without warning:

"Kith Moonshadow!" a hard voice boomed from somewhere elevated and to their left. "Thought you and your dirty ienukshin could walk through my city with that, and not get noticed??"

Cooper felt a tremble of anxiety at hearing the challenge. Mostly because he was sure the speaker was referring to him.

"I'm not sure what you're referring to, Guard Captain," the paladin leader smoothly replied, sounding unbothered by the challenger's hard tone. "We're just returning from a relic hunting expedition. Like we do every day."

The Guard Captain snorted derisively as Cooper felt and heard their company get surrounded, forcing them to a halt.

"If by relic you mean some mundane, round eared human you found grubbing in the dirt, you'd be right!" the speaker said as he bumped against the human. "Gah! How can you stand the small, ienukshin'e? This close, it's almost stomach churning!"