Chapter 20: A Change in Direction, But Not Purpose

Cooper looked from the prime councilor's bright eyes to her hand. As he did, his mind churned with questions.

What would taking the time to break the Empire's assault on the Noriquien holdings in the Garden mean to his quest to find the Crown of Oberon? If he had to go from planet to planet, cutting down dragons like he did over Eska, it could take months, if not years to break the Empire's assault. And he just didn't have that kind of time.

"I like the offer, prime councilor," he began. "Humanity has been so thoroughly scattered by the twin invasions by the high elves and the Empire, we just don't have the available assets to hunt down the Kalphor on our own. However ..."

Cooper hesitated. While the Noriquien had done nothing to prove themselves as anything other than allies, they were still elves. And elves were responsible for killing four fifths of the people on his world. So how much did he tell them about what he was actually doing?

A look over to Vannea showed the high priestess looking hopeful. For good reason: she had taken the risk sending her operatives into the mundane universe to retrieve him in the hopes that the Dragon Hunter would indeed agree to defeat the Empire and make safe the Noriquien territories in the Garden. She was so invested in that hope, that she pledged herself to him as some sort of slave if he agreed to assist them defend Eska.

"I'm searching for a powerful relic that I've been assured will defeat the Scale Empire in both my universe and yours," he said, bringing his eyes back to Maevin.

"I had just begun that quest when the high priestess's operators took hold of me and brought me to the Garden. If I quit that quest to help the Noriquien, I run the risk of my people being wiped out before I could return to it."

Even as he watched the prime councilor slowly draw back her hand and nod in understanding, Cooper could see her mind churning through possibilities. But it was Vannea that spoke next.

"You can access the full capabilities of the temple for your quest, Cooper," the high priestess immediately pledged. "As your humble slave, all that I am, is yours."

That earned her a quick look from both Maevin and the woman in green and blue. And a frown from Cooper.

"That sounds like you've already been negotiating, master Dragon Hunter," the woman in green and blue said.

"Unknown to me at the time," Cooper admitted, his expression dark. "Some of the terms have since been clarified but I'm still not fully cognizant of the extent of our arrangement."

"High Priestess?" Maevin asked and Cooper became thoughtful when it was asked with a good deal of respect and diffidence. How much power did Vannea actually wield??

"I offered the Dragon Hunter myself as a slave when we were negotiating for his agreement to save Eska from the most recent imperial attack," Vannea unhesitatingly explained even as she looked at Cooper.

"As I am pledged body and soul to the well-being of our people by virtue of my calling, it was a small price to pay to save the people of Eska."

"I understand the level of your dedication, high priestess. I just don't understand why it was needed ..." Maevin began to say before catching the thoughtful look on Cooper's face.

"I see. The Dragon Hunter didn't come willingly to Kaliban and the Garden."

"Regrettably, no," Vannea confessed. "Although, to be truthful, he might've if we had asked."

"Shadows protect us!" the woman in green muttered even as Maevin frowned.

"As High Priestess, you've the authority to act unilaterally to protect our people, your Grace. I don't question that. But to take the Dragon Hunter against his will may not have been the best choice," the prime councilor carefully said.