Ch. 23: Hexside Havoc

The group walked back to Hexside in almost silence but it was a comfortable silence since they were all in high spirits because they had a way to defeat the Collector and turn everyone back! Belos was still a thought in their mind but they were all confident they could still stop him even if he possessed the Collector.

"So, Hexside was turned into a safe haven after all this happened?" Hunter asked Mattholomule.

"Sort of. I wouldn't exactly call it "safe haven." Well... it's safe at least." Mattholomule said delicately.

Barcus snorted a bit, trying to make it seem like a sarcastic remark.

"It is safe, Barcus." Mattholomule said to him.

"What's going on at Hexside?" Luz asked, making them turn to her. "In fact, what exactly happened here on the Day of Unity?"

"It was chaotic. Everything was shaking and the skies turned rainbow colored. Everyone ran outside to see the cause, only to be meet by those spies of the Collector." Skara said, recalling that day.

"The teachers fought back but they were puppetized and taken. Boscha tried to rally the grudgby team to fight but you can guess how that ended." Amelia said, shivering a bit. "As puppets, we're sentient while we're like that. It's like being in a vegetative state where you we can do is think. And trust me, after being like that for who knows how long, because no one answered my question about what day it is yet, the fact that I'm even mentally stable is a miracle."

"And if you're mentally stable, that means everyone else is too. They're all just waiting to be freed." Amity said.

"Yep and I bet they'll want to throw you guys a parade for finding a cure after all this." Amelia said as she turned to Luz. "If you didn't drop that light glyph, I'd still be wood."

"You're welcome and I'll be glad to share the good fortune." Luz said as she was busy drawing more light glyphs with her mom.

Suddenly, Skara stopped everyone in the forest as the Collector's spies flew above. The group hid until it was clear.

"Coast is clear." Skara said.

"Phew." Gus let out, not wanting to be turned by one of those things.

They kept walking, making it back to Hexside pretty easily.

"We've done some redecorating these last few months." Skara said.

"Months?" Amelia asked, now realizing how long it's been since she became a puppet.

"So welcome to." Skara continued, opening the doors, "New Hexside."

The halls were dark but well lit by candles as several other students were minding their own business. Either playing or taking care of their friends. All still wearing their school uniforms as they have wear and tear on them.

"Wow, this place is... different." Luz said, looking around the halls.

"Yeah....no adults were left around so we have to improvise. The older students do their best but it can only go so far." Mattholomule said, leading the group through the halls. "We all agreed to stay together to survive but the school is basically divided as well."

"Don't even get me started on the kindergartners." Skara said quickly to Amelia.

Right as she said that, a bunch of Kindergarteners ran by, holding weapons. They elected to ignore that and went to the main area.

"And this is the statue of Principal Bump, who gave his life for ours." Mattholomule said.

"He's not dead." Amelia said to him. "He's just being held by the Collector."