Chapter 6 - It All Comes Crashing Down

(A/N: So far, the longest chapter I have ever written. Hope you enjoy.)

The crowd cheered as the dance ended, tossing coins onto the stage to show their appreciation for the show. Meanwhile, (Y/N) rushed to try and find her fallen mask, soon making her way to the back. Realising she wasn't going to find it anytime soon; she made a move to try and hide until she could think of something else when her arm was grabbed.

A small yelp left her lips and she turned to see Phoebus giving her a pitying smile as he hoisted her up onto his horse. Her face fell as she looked ahead, seeing Frollo's glare harsher than usual, as she was led over to him.

"Here she- "

Phoebus couldn't even finish as Frollo seized her wrist and yanked the poor girl off. She staggered for balance but was somewhat steadied as Frollo snatched up her chin and brought her face terrifyingly close to his own, his nostrils flaring with rage as he gazed down at her with unparalleled anger.

"Master, I- "

"You came to the festival against my express orders!" He bellowed.

She shook within his grasp and even Phoebus noticed her terror and was quick to step in, "Sir, what exactly has this woman done to receive such treatment."

Frollo looked up at the captain with an unwavering glare as he stated, "This woman is my ward and I shall handle her as I see fit. Maybe your focus should be on your work and not on how I reprimand."

Phoebus wanted to interject when the crowd suddenly cheered and Clopin began to address them once again.

🎵Clopin: "Here it is, the moment you've been waiting for! Here it is, you know exactly what's in store! Now's the time we laugh until our sides get sore! Now's the time we crown the king of fools!"

Quasimodo grew excited at the mention of the crowning, probably the most important event at the festival. This made him look around even more for his sister so that she could witness it with him. However, he was right at the front of the crowd, with his view obstructed, and was still not aware of the position (Y/N) was in.

Frollo growled at the mention of the crowning as he turned to face (Y/N). "Is Quasimodo here?"

The girl furiously shook her head, not wanting to get her brother into any trouble and hoping harder than she ever had that Frollo wouldn't spot him. The older man merely glared down at her before forcing her to sit at his side, holding her close in case she decided to run.

"We'll discuss this later."

Meanwhile, the festival continued as normal for everyone else as Clopin cheerfully asked, "You all remember last year's king?"

He pointed off to the side, where people were carrying a drunken man on a makeshift throne.

🎵Clopin: "So make a face that's horrible and frightening! Make a face as gruesome as a gargoyle's wing!"

...

"Hey!" Hugo gasped, taking offense to the statement.

...

🎵Clopin: "For the face that's ugliest will be the king of fools! Why?"

Clopin began pulling participants onto the stage.

🎵Crowd: "Topsy-Turvy!"

🎵Clopin: "Ugly folks, forget your shyness!"