Chapter 13 - A Girl Like You

The ringing of the bells soon ended as the gargoyles peered out at the terrible scene before them. Paris was glowing red with the flames that consumed the city. It was a horrific sight to say the least.

"Oh, it doesn't look good." Laverne observed with worry in her tone.

"It's hopeless. Absolutely hopeless." Victor sorrowfully agreed.

"You're telling me!" They turned to Hugo, who was playing poker with a pigeon and had an annoyed look on his face. "I'm losing to a bird!"

"Oh, that poor gypsy boy. I'm beginning to fear the worst." Victor confessed.

"I know. But, now, don't you say anything to upset (Y/N). She's worried enough already." Laverne warned.

"Yeah, you're right. We'd better lighten up." Hugo added.

"Shh, shh, shh! Here they come!" Victor announced.

"Now just stay calm." Laverne stated.

"Not a word." Victor agreed.

"Easy does it." Hugo encouraged.

"Stone faced."

Just then (Y/N) entered, nervously wringing her hands around her wrists while Quasimodo tried to ease her worries.

"You must just stay calm, (Y/N). Esmeraldo is cunning a-and I'm sure he's tucked away, safe within the Court of Miracles."

This didn't seem to do much as she walked over to the gargoyles and asked, "Any sign of him?"

That was all it took for Victor's stone expression to break and he caved in. "Oh, it's a lost cause! He could be anywhere! In the stocks, in the dungeon, on the rack! Oh no!"

He wailed as he flung himself onto Quasimodo, crying into the poor boy's shirt, as he did his best to comfort the blubbering gargoyle. (Y/N) however looked at him with a heartbroken expression from his words.

"Nice work, Victor." Laverne stated, unimpressed.

"No, he's right." (Y/N) lamented as she continued to worry. "What are we going to do?"

"What are you guys talking about? If I know Esmeraldo, he's three steps ahead of Frollo, and well out of harm's way!" Hugo interjected in a matter-of-fact tone.

"Do you really think so?"

"Hey, when things cool off, he'll be back and only wanting to see you. You'll see."

At Hugo's words, (Y/N)'s cheeks turned red almost instantly, not going unnoticed by either gargoyle or her brother. The gargoyles each shared a knowing smirk while Quasimodo, still apprehensive about the whole thing, still placed a hand on his sister's shoulder to show his support.

"What makes you so sure?" 

"Because he likes you." Laverne stated. "We always said you were the cute one."

"I thought I was the cute one!" Hugo interjected with a mouth full of food.

"No, you're the fat, stupid one with the big mouth!"

"...What are you saying, exactly?"

Laverne decided to ignore him as she told (Y/N), "Take it from us, dearie. You've got nothing to worry about."

"Yeah, you're irresistible." Hugo complimented.

"Sure, there are many beautiful girls in the city but- "

Hugo interrupted Victor as he finished his sentence, "Those girls are a dime a dozen. You're one of a kind."

He stuck a sausage onto a skewer and held it over the railing.