Chapter 17 - Smite The Wicked

Quasimodo triumphantly burst through the door, his fist raised victoriously as he yelled out, "We've done it, (Y/N)! We've beaten them back! Come and see!"

However, when not a sound was heard, he looked over to his sister, only to be met with the tear-stained cheeks of Esmeraldo. He looked over at the hunchback his eyes full of sorrow as he clutched the unconscious girl tightly to his chest.

"(Y/N)? Wake up! You're safe now." Quasimodo tried to coax her, walking over to Esmeraldo, and nudging her cheek with the back of his hand. "(Y/N)?"

He looked over to Esmeraldo, who shook his head as more tears escaped.

"Oh, no."

He didn't want to believe it. He didn't want it to be true. He frantically picked up a spoon, filled it with water and let it pour over her mouth, with Esmeraldo holding her head back in his own desperation to see her move. But she did not even drink and the water simply glided down her chin.

"Oh, no." He shakily said as he clutched her hand, weeping in dismay.

Esmeraldo watched on as tears continued to trail down his face. He looked down at the beautiful girl that had captured his heart and it bled at the sight of her.

"I-I never got to tell her that I l-l-loved her. I never got to say it back." He confessed as he placed a gentle kiss on her forehead.

They both mourned, a brother for his sister, and a man for his true love. Both so caught up in their grief that neither of them noticed as Frollo slithered into the room. It was only when his hand was placed upon Quasimodo's hunch and his shadow loomed over them, was when they were aware of his horrid presence.

"You killed her." Was all Quasimodo could muster out, his tone weak but filled with anger.

"It was my duty, horrible as it was. I hope you can forgive me."

His words only fuelled the anger burning within Esmeraldo. He glared up at the shadow that loomed over them, clutching (Y/N) as close to him as possible, as Frollo's uncaring eyes didn't have the right to gaze upon her.

"There, there, Quasimodo, I know it hurts." Frollo softly stated, slowly pulling a dagger out from behind. "But now, the time has come to end your suffering, forever."

Esmeraldo was the first to notice the distinct shape of the dagger and he raised his head in alarm and whipped around, shouting out, "Quasi!"

He looked up and noticed the dagger was about to plunge down and he acted fast. Quasimodo turned and grabbed onto both of Frollo's wrists, wrestling with him for a bit before throwing the old man across the room. He now had the dagger and stood over Frollo, who cowered away from the angered man.

He held up his hand, trying to reason with Quasimodo as he spluttered out, "Now-now, l-listen to me, Quasimodo- "

"No, you listen! All my life you have told me the world is a dark, cruel place. But now, I see that the only thing dark and cruel about it is people like you!"

A cough suddenly sounded and all the men gazed over to see (Y/N) as she shakily rose from her position in Esmeraldo's arms. She looked around with some confusion before her eyes landed on her brother.

"Quasimodo?" She asked, making him drop the dagger in surprise.

She then turned to her side, seeing Esmeraldo stare at her in shock, tears erupting from his eyes.

"(Y/N)!" They both cried out, with Esmeraldo pulling her into his chest while Quasimodo raced over to her side.

They were both so happy to see her alive...but not all shared in this sentiment.