Chapter 9 - Not A Monster

"This is where we live." Quasimodo answered shyly from behind one of the wooden pillars.

"Did you make all these things yourself?" Esmeraldo asked gesturing to the city model and hanging ornaments.

"Most of them. My sister helped with painting the model."

"This is beautiful. If I could do this, you wouldn't find me dancing in the streets for coins."

"But you're a wonderful dancer." (Y/N) interjected, blushing as Esmeraldo smiled over at her.

"Well, it keeps bread on the table, anyway. And it helps when you have a partner." He winked, making the blush on (Y/N)'s face deepen.

The girl turned away to hide her reddened face and Esmeraldo noticed something on the table, hidden under a small cloth. "What's this?"

"Oh, no, please." Quasimodo panicked though he was a little late as Esmeraldo lifted the cloth to reveal two unpainted figures. 

"They're not finished. I still have to paint them." (Y/N) stated.

"The blacksmith and the baker!" He chuckled, turning to the siblings. "You're both surprising people. Not to mention lucky. All this room to yourselves."

"Actually, my sister has a room below in the cathedral." Quasimodo explained.

"Really?"

"I came to the church before Quasi so we do have separate rooms. But I'd be lying if I said I didn't spend most of my time here, with him." (Y/N) explained, shyly grinning up at the gypsy man.

"And it's not just us." Quasimodo added. "There's the gargoyles and of course the bells. Would you like to see them?"

"Yes, of course. Wouldn't we, Djali?"

Djali, who had been munching on a shepherd figure and his herd, slurped down the last of it into his mouth.

Quasimodo grinned as he hoisted himself up another level. "Follow me. I'll introduce you." 

(Y/N) grinned as she grabbed Esmeraldo's hand, catching him by surprise. But he still allowed the girl to giggle and drag him up to where all the bells hung.

"My brother really does adore the bells." 

"Never knew there were so many." Esmeraldo said, gazing up at all of them.

"That's Little Sophia, and..." Quasimodo pointed out one before swinging between three more, like monkey bars as he listed off, "Jean Marie, Ann Marie, and Louise Marie. Triplets, you know." 

"And who's this?"

"Big Marie." (Y/N) added, going under the giant bell, and waving Esmeraldo over to join her. 

The two knelt under it and Esmeraldo couldn't help shouting out a 'Hello!', which echoed richly in the air. (Y/N) giggled at his playful action as her brother peeked inside and said, "She likes you. Would you like to see more?"

"How 'bout it, Djali?"

The goat merely burped in response, igniting another giggle from (Y/N).

"We'd love to."

"Good." (Y/N) grinned as she pulled the man by his hand once more, following her brother up another ladder. "We've saved the best for last!"

The three walked out on top of one of the towers and Esmeraldo was in awe at the view. From there one could see almost all of Paris and a beautiful view of the Seine also lay right before their eyes, as the sun set and bathed everything in a beautiful golden colour.