Chapter 15 - The Court of Miracles

The siblings watched on, (Y/N) trembling violently in her brother's arms as a few tears escaped and glided down her cheeks. But their attention was pulled towards Phoebus, as he crawled out of his hiding spot with some struggle and faced them.

"We have to find the Court of Miracles before daybreak. If Frollo gets there first..." He hesitated to finish his thought as he offered his hand to (Y/N). "Are you alright?"

She simply nodded, albeit shakily, as she wiped away her tears. He bent over to help her stand up, which she gratefully accepted before helping her brother up afterwards.

"Are you two coming with me?" Phoebus asked.

"Yes." (Y/N) replied instantly, determination in her eyes.

"I can't." Quasimodo sighed out.

"What?" His sister questioned.

"I thought you were Esmeraldo's friend." Phoebus snapped.

"Frollo's my master. I can't disobey him again."

"He stood up for you!"

"And he helped us when our master didn't." (Y/N) defended.

"You've got a funny way of showing gratitude." Phoebus stated, glaring at the hunchback as he turned away from him. "Well, I'm not going to sit by and watch Frollo massacre innocent people. You do what you think is right."

With that, he turned and left. Quasimodo didn't really care until he noticed the disapproving looks directed at him from both the gargoyles and his sister. And, if he were being honest, her disappointed stare hit him the hardest.

"What? What am I supposed to do? Go out there and rescue the guy who is trying to take my sister away from me from the-from the jaws of death. And the whole town will cheer like I'm some kind of a hero?"

(Y/N) raised an eyebrow at him, her disapproving gaze falling, as she looked at him sorrowfully. "Take me away? What are you talking about?"

"He's going to take you away and you want to leave. And I'll be stuck here without you." Quasi sighed out, lowering his head sadly. "You already have your knight in shining armour and it's not me. Frollo was right. Frollo was right about everything. I'm tired of trying to be something that I'm not."

His sister narrowed her eyes, placing her hands on her hips irritably as she asked, "You really think I'd leave without you?"

"What?"

"You're my brother, Quasi." She stated with a roll of her eyes before bending down to meet his gaze. "I found love. Which means that I will one day wish to be free with Esmeraldo. But I'd never leave you behind. I'd want you to be free too. So, if I go, you're coming with me."

"Really?"

"Yes, silly." She giggled as she brought his hand in hers, tracing the lines of his palm as she explained, "And, remember, you have no monster lines. You're kind and caring. You've never tried to be anything other than yourself and, to me, it shows you're just as human as anyone else."

He gazed up at his sister, watching her smile brightly at him and he smiled back. At that, she brought him into a hug which he gladly returned. Laverne eased her way over to them, handing Quasimodo his cloak, which he hesitantly took. He still wasn't sure if he wanted to go, mainly because Phoebus annoyed him. But also, because he was scared to leave again, especially with their master so furious.

But it only took one glance at (Y/N)'s pleading expression to make him cave. He sighed out in slight annoyance as she once again convinced him to leave.

"I must be out of my mind."

...

At the ground level of the cathedral, Phoebus opened the doors and was about to leave, when Quasimodo suddenly appeared, upside down, in front of him. He jumped back out of fear but slightly calmed as (Y/N) appeared from behind her brother, having clung to his back the whole way down.