SECRETS & LIES

Leala's pov:-

I see the way my words bring uncertainity to his beliefs.

I see how that uncertainity quickly turns back to anger and how his eyes show the steel of the resolve he makes in his heart that probably involves some form of torcher against me.

But I don't stop. Hensley always said I got this attitude from my mother, so the consequences of my next word might as well be her fault.

"So, once again I thank you, Prince Mortimer, for going to all these lengths to take me to your father." I say in a voice as sweet as honey, with a clear sting of a bee's venom mixed in it.

"Thank you, for taking me to the man who committed the crime against my people."

"Thank you for taking me to him so that I can look right in his face and spit on it."

"Thank you for taking me to the man who has ruined my kingdom today."

"Thank you for taking me to the man who ruined my life all those years ago."

"Thank you for taking me to the man who's name every orphan in Casmere is cursing today."

"Thank you for taking me to the man who's name I've been cursing all my childhood."

I see as confusion once again makes a home on his face.

"What are you talking about?" He questions.

"Why don't you ask your daddy when we meet him? huh?" I say in a mocking tone.

That's when a man walks in, with a face that was scarred with a symmetric vertical slash right aross his left eye, that looked like it was quite old, and quite deep.

That was a face I'd never forget even in my death. He was the guard whom I'll forever remember.

"Prince, you should come with me and take a look at the preperations for our departure tomorrow." He says with the slightest bow of his head.

"Not right now General Kirigan." Mortimer says, with a bit of annoyance in his tone.

So, he has now become the General. Interesting. I think to myself.

He however, completely ignored my existence, and when he finally does look at me, it is with a look that shows no sign of acknowledgement. It's as if he doesn't even remember me.

Mortimer catches the look in my eyes, and suspicion draws his eyebrows a little closer to each other. He looks from me to Kirigan with a questioning look.

"We need to prepare as soon as we can Prince. There are a lot of arrangements to make." Kirigan ushers Mortimer. 

That's when I realise that he's faking it. He remembers everything.

How could he not though, that was the kind of incident that no one could ever forget, even if they wanted to.

"Go ahead Louis. Your father must be missing you so bad if he wants you to come back so quickly." I say just to watch his jaw twitch with anger. It was kind of fun.

"She'll be coming with us tomorrow to Shadowfen." Mortimer says in a haughty tone.

I don't miss the look of pure surprise on Kirigan's face.

"Is that really necessary, my prince?" He asks in a tone that clearly suggests he doesn't want me to come with him.

"If you really are fond of your life, you won't question me again." Mortimer warns Kirigan on his way out.

Before leaving the room Kirigan looks at me one last time, and as I stare into his grave face, tears fill up my eyes and before they can hit the ground, he's gone.