07.

two years ago / summer

-"kashi, i know what i'm doing. just sit back and watch me win." ariana laughed at him, closing the car door. he walked away from her, leaning on his friend's car. accompanied by the people around him, a girl attached at its hip.

ariana gripped the car wheel with every inch of strength she had. it comforted her. the harder she gripped it, the more control she felt she had. ariana watched as the flag girl fixed her hair, the anticipation grew. she looked to the side, three more cars beside hers. eager to win, eager for the money.

ariana let her car purr watching the girl lift the flag, slamming her hand down as quick as possible. ariana slammed her foot of the gas, pressing her back to the seat. she took a look beside her, no car beside her. she was first.

that's everything ariana remembers. next thing she knew she was back in takashi's garage. damp gauze sitting on her forehead, tools on the glass table in front of her.

-"takashi? morimoto?" ariana called out, standing up. she regretted immediately, her vision almost turning fully black. she sat back down. both of the boys came out of the office, laughter erupting as soon as they saw her. she became self conscious.

-"i told you, you weren't ready. you lost control of the car." morimoto said handing her a glass of water and removing the gauze from her head. a deep; but small, cut near her hairline. she watched how takashi had a smug look on his. as if he was happy she got hurt. of course he wasn't. but life just keep proving that ariana should listen to takashi. he always seemed to me right.

-"spare me the 'i told you so' speech, please. i don't need more of a headache." ariana said drinking the water. takashi chuckle at her.

-"i told you." takashi said. she rolled her eyes at him. getting up from the couch. she grabbed his car keys from the table. turning his hand open and giving it to him. she grabbed the same hand dragging him towards the exit.

-"what are you doing?" takashi asked laughing.

-"you're taking me home. if i have to suffer i'd rather suffer in my bed." ariana said, opening the door to the passenger. leaning the seat all the way back, using her forearm to cover her eyes from the sunlight. takashi sighed before starting the car.

...

he seemed serious. that wasn't usual when it came to ariana. sure, he had his moments. but she couldn't possibly imagine what he wanted to talk about. ariana was filled with adrenaline, her heart skipped faster each time.

-"what's wrong, takashi?" ariana could feel han's presence behind her. he followed her every move. ariana swallowed the lump on her throat. she had a bad feeling.

-"it's about your mom." takashi said his eyes on the floor. ariana breath hitched. she wasted no time in asking. her mother was the only family she had left. it had been her and her mother against the world, for as long a she knew.