Chapter Twenty Eight.

~Somi's POV~

As I squinted my eyes as a sudden burst of sunlight shattered through the window, sending a kaleidoscope of colours dancing across the room. The shards of light illuminated every corner, casting intricate patterns on the walls and floor.

I rubbed my eyes, trying to adjust to the sudden brightness. As I opened them, I was met with a breathtaking sight. The sunlight cascaded from the ceiling to the floor glass window, creating a shimmering gold pathway stretching out into infinity. The air was filled with a soft, warm glow, and I could feel the gentle touch of the sun's rays on my skin.

My thoughts were abruptly interrupted as I realised that Adams wasn't beside me on the bed. Flashes of last night rushed through my mind as I remembered the passionate love-making we had shared twice, the second one was in the middle of the night or very early this morning after we'd showered together again, ate dinner and slept. He'd woken me up with his hands all over me and pressing his erection to my backside.

I looked down at the white sheets and saw that I was utterly naked inside them, my body exposed to the brilliant sunlight that flooded the room.

Suddenly, I felt self-conscious and vulnerable, drawing the sheets up to my chin in a feeble attempt to cover myself. Unfortunately, the warmth of the sun's rays on my skin only heightened my awareness of my nakedness, and I couldn't help but feel a tinge of embarrassment, trying to form an image of Adams seeing my naked form in broad daylight.

I went into the bathroom to clean up before I met him, or worse he comes and finds me naked again, while awake.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The wool cocoon slippers mule I wore made soft thuds against the hard floor as I came downstairs, after speaking on a video call with Mama who was still at the hotel with Homa and mentioned that there was something important that she wanted to tell my sisters and I.

I didn't like when mama sounded that way, I felt like she was going to announce to us that she had a deadly disease and didn't have much time to live or some other bad thing. The last time she'd sounded that way with us was when she'd announced the death of our father.

I shook off the weird feeling that came with my thoughts as I neared the end of the stairs.

Adams was talking on a call, his back to me sitting on one of the cushions.

My bad. He had a visitor.

I decided to go back upstairs, lucky that neither men had seen me as they'd been engrossed in whatever work they were doing.

I decided to get busy with my phone while on the bed. I called Sarima to give her gist.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was chatting away on my call with Sarima that'd lasted for over an hour.

The conversation started with us talking about my night with Adams, then we talked about a lot of other things, why mama was suddenly saying she wanted to tell us something important. She talked about how much she was learning at one arts programme in Lekki she'd enrolled in. She talked about her encounter with Kene at the wedding and cried afterwards, she was always so careful with life. I was the risk taker when it came to things like that.

Obviously.

I'd explained to her how my meeting with Adams' parents a few months ago had gone. When I was gisting them about my vacation, I always left that part out. She was mad of course.

Adams walked into the room with a tray of food in his hands while I was still on my call.

It was on speaker, "Riri, I'll call you back later."

"Okay." A beep indicated that the call had ended.

He gently placed the food on the bed. I stared at him, spotting a blush. He was on a white plain tee and grey joggers now looking all fresh and edible.

Chisom, rest.

"Mama, come 'ere," He pulled me by the waist to himself now on the bed, pasting tiny kisses on my face which made me giggle like someone that was being tickled and he placed one final long one on my lips.

"I came downstairs to find you earlier." I said to him, checking if he'd tell me who had been with him.

He looked up from the noodles he was blowing on the fork. "Why didn't you inform me of your presence?" He brought the food close to my mouth and I opened up for him to feed me.

"You seemed to be busy," I said after munching on the near tasteless food. "Have you had breakfast?" I questioned covering my lips and he nodded. "You cooked this right?"

He grinned. "Is it that bad?"

I nodded. "But I can manage."

"That was my lawyer." He said, referring to the man I'd seen with him in the living room.

"Oh," was all I could come up with as he fed me again.

"Give me a minute." He excused himself dashing out of the door and I just stared after his figure, wondering what was up.

With a shrug, I dragged the tray of noodles closer to myself and started eating, thankfully the plenty of pepper he added made it edible for me. He was back in no time and with some documents and a pen.

Plopping down on the bed and opening the file. He stretched it to me, "Sign here."

I eyed him and the document in his hands before commenting. "Are we getting a divorce already?" he chuckled and I smiled, peeling the file off his hands. "What's this?" I questioned seriously, eyes scanning the document before I signed.

"That's..." He trailed off gesturing for me to read.

I hurriedly schemed through the paper.

I raised my face to meet his stare. He'd bought a semi detached duplex at Lekki in my name?

I should be happy but I couldn't even force a smile.

Why did I feel like he was paying me for last night? Why did I feel like a gold digger?

What would his parents think, that I was beginning to sink my poverty stricken claws into their son, already?

I swallowed, looking away.

"Mama, what is it?" He quietly asked me. "You don't want it... I mean if you don't like it, we could opt for..."

"No." I interrupted him. "I don't want it." I genuinely said to him.

"You know this is for your safety and nothing more, right? Just in case you're beginning to run with your ideas."

"No, I don't want!" I repeated.

"I just want you out of that environment."

"Why? You can't be with someone that stays there?"

"What are you driving at now?" He sighed.

"I don't want it. I'm good."

"Alright, We could rent somewhere else that's secure enough if you feel this is a little too much."

"Are you trying to pay me?"

"Wh..." He frowned, "what do you mean?"

Silence followed.

He didn't argue again, just nodded resignedly and took the file from me. "My bad." He seemed pissed.

I don't know if I'm overreacting or taking the situation out of proportion but I didn't just like the idea of him buying me a house or even renting one.

I spent the rest of the morning at his place not talking to him as he left me in the room and went about his business downstairs. I watched a movie and later that afternoon, I left for the Lagos Oriental Hotel without his knowledge where I joined mama, Homa and Sarima, while he was on a zoom meeting, with airpods plugged in his ears.

*************

Goodness