Dancing

"Miss Eliza! Why are you not dancing?" cried Sir William Lucas as he rushed up to Elizabeth Bennet, who had just walked by, no doubt on her way to talk some sense into her youngest sister, who was now shouting gleefully and laughing at some officer.

Sir Lucas took Elizabeth's hand and turned her to face me.

The second she turned her heart-shaped face toward me, I scolded myself for noticing how the room lights reflected in her dark eyes.

"Mr. Darcy, allow me to present this young lady as a desirable partner." Sir William said excitedly, "You cannot refuse to dance, I'm sure when so much beauty is before you!

I couldn't look away from Elizabeth's face as she answered firmly, "Indeed, sir, I have not the least intention of dancing." Sir Williams opened his mouth, sure to object, but she continued. "Please don't suppose I moved this way to beg for a partner."

I was shocked; until now, every young woman I had come acquainted with was always so eager to dance with me, to talk to me, and I had been the one to turn them down. My mouth started working before I knew what was happening.

"I would be very happy if you would dance with me, Miss Bennet."

She peered up at me with such a challenge in her eyes. I blinked in surprise and almost looked away, but I held her gaze and refused to give the satisfaction of her making me uncomfortable,

"Thank you," she bit out, "But excuse me, I'm not inclined to dance."

"Come come, why not!" Sir William exclaimed, "When you see Mr. Darcy has no objection, although he dislikes the amusement so much in general."

"Mr. Darcy is all politeness," Elizabeth said steely,

"He is! And why should he not be, considering the inducement, for who could object to such a partner, eh Darcy?"

I was contemplating just running to the closest empty room and facing all my thoughts and feelings; one emotion, in particular, made my heart speed up.

But before I could do or say anything, Elizabeth curtsied and said, "I beg you would excuse me." And just like that, she was gone.

"Well... oh capital Lydia capital!" Sir Williams said, his face reddening as he turned to praise Elizabeth's youngest sister, avoiding eye contact with me.

As he strolled away, I was left standing where I was, feeling like a fool. Refusing to look Elizabeth's way as she chatted with another lady, I was about to collect myself near the back window when Caroline Bingley appeared behind me. I could smell her heavy perfume before I heard her sultry voice in my ear, "I believe I can guess your thoughts at this moment,"

"I should imagine not," I answered, keeping the bite out of my words.

She chuckled, "You are thinking how insupportable it would be to spend many evenings in such tedious company." How she delivered the second to last word in her presumption made unexpected anger flare in my stomach.

I answered calmly, knowing just what to say to get her to leave, "No indeed, my mind is more agreeably engaged," I paused for effect, "I've been meditating on the very great pleasure which a pair of fine eyes in the face of a pretty woman can bestow."

I heard a sharp intake of her breath as she registered my words and then said in a voice dripping with anticipation, "And may one dare ask who's the eyes that inspired these reflections?"

"Miss Elizabeth Bennet's"

I said what some tiny part of me had been dying to confess. Maybe I said it to annoy Caroline, but I said it more for me.

But all I knew was when I said her name and I looked at the other end of the room, something clicked deep within me.

The light played in her eyes like drops of sunlight. And just the fact that those eyes had been fixed on me only a couple of minutes ago with such defiance and indifference that I had never seen before.

I was startled out of my thoughts as I heard Caroline's forced laugh as she repeated, "Miss Elizabeth Bennet." A pause, "I am all astonishment." And she turned and walked away.