Dandelions

My head felt clearer as I trudged down the hillside, the dandelions brushing against my slowly drying pants.

I felt lighter than I had in weeks, but whenever my heart whispered her name, I felt a sharp pang, and I-- no, I would not go down that road today. My friends and sister were coming tomorrow, and I had to get myself together.

The summer breeze was lovely, and the sun shone brightly on the pond before Pemberley.

I smiled as I emerged from the shade of some pine trees and admired my estate, my home, where I grew up, and my life.

I sighed and looked back to the road ahead, where I locked eyes with Miss Elizabeth Bennet.

I stumbled and almost tripped, but I caught myself and stopped. We were standing at the edge of the large green pond on Pemberley's right side, and the sun danced off the surface and cast golden reflections on her lovely face.

I just stared at her.

Her expression looked just as shocked and mortified as I would imagine mine looked at present.

"Mr. Darcy," Elizabeth managed out, her face coloring, I had my formal suit and shirt folded over my arm, but as I was only wearing my wet undershirt and pants, it left nothing much to the imagination.

"Miss Bennet," I choked out, and my head took on certain dizziness.

"I did not expect to see you, so...w.." I knew she was going to say wet, but she composed herself in time and hastily looked back up at my face, "We understood all the family was from home, or we would never have presumed.." she stopped, her face still blushing.

"I returned a day early," I replied hurriedly, my throat dry, "Excuse me, your parents are in good health?"

"Yes, they are very well, thank you, sir," Eliza rasped,

"I'm glad to hear it," I refused to acknowledge that Elizabeth was here at my home. Everything I had tried to conquer these past weeks, all the speeches I had given myself, had come to nothing the moment I saw her again.

"How long have you been in this part of the country?" I got out, trying to remember some basic social skills.

"But two days, sir,"

"Where are you staying?"

"At the Inn at Lambton?"

"Yes, of course."

An unbearably awkward pause,

"Well, I just arrived myself," I said stupidly, "And your parents are in good health?" I said that already didn't I? "And all your sisters?"

"Yes, they are all in excellent health, sir," She said again, the ghost of a smile blossoming on her face.

I debated throwing myself in the water.

"Excuse me," I said hastily and bolted past her, deciding it would be best to leave before making a bigger fool of myself.