Walking

I walked down a line of trees that border the lush green lawn at the end of Netherfield's extensive property and a beautiful golden field with a fine view of a far-off forest and some upper-class houses.

The morning sunlight shone through the summer leaves and made brilliant patches on the grass. I breathed in, savoring the calm, when suddenly I heard the crunch of feet on sticks and fallen leaves, and I stopped dead in my tracks. For coming out of the shade of the trees was "Miss Bennet." I said with surprise and bowed to her,

Her face was flushed from the exercise, and her dark hair was slightly frizzy, but her curls remained intact.

"Mr. Darcy," she said and curtsied.

A slight pause.

Elizabeth cleared her throat and said, "I have come to enquire after my sister."

"On foot?" I said stupidly, my surprise probably still etched on my face.

"As you see."

I stared at her, and I noticed that there were also green hints and hazel coloring in her brown eyes. I shook my head as if that would clear the image away.

"Would you be so kind as to take me to her?" Elizabeth said again, her voice slightly impatient, and I pressed my lips together not to smile. This young woman had walked 3 miles about the countryside and did not care about her appearance, only wanting to see her sister.

I had never been so bewitched by a woman in my whole life.

So with that, I gestured for her to follow, and we headed back to the house in silence.