Chapter Two: Lafew

"If Lafew needs someone to vouch for him, I will," was Ralph's only comment. "What's the matter? My father isn't influential anymore, but he used to be, and my reputation is still pristine."

"When did you learn the word pristine?" Viola asked. "Times are changing. That... whatever you said, is not the problem, Ralph. The problem is that Lafew needs important people on his side, probably adults."

"Ariel and Silvius," Lafew said without thinking.

"Seriously? With their reputation?" Ralph asked. "When Ariel was banished from the Noblesse, apparently not even Silvius' words were enough to save him."

They were on the bus, to check out disturbances on the Hero Line. The bus was taking them to Stonehenge.

"I want to stop and ask these people for directions," Professor Steichen said, which was very unlike him. He looked troubled. "But make sure you stay on the bus. I don't want any trouble."

They were halfway, near the town of Exeter. It was easy to see that there was a gathering of people from the Noblesse, because the men and women Lafew could see from the windows weren't certainly common townsfolk. They had hand-written signs as if they were in a protest, and, was it his impression or they were trying to slow down the bus?

Lafew shuddered, when he saw what the protest was about. There were cardboard figures in his likeness with the word 'Impostor King' written on his forehead.

"Fine," he told Ralph and Viola when the Professor had disappeared amongst the crowd. "I'm going."

"You... no! Lafew! Steichen told us repeatedly to stay on the bus!"

It was just one time, Lafew could have pointed out. But he knew that Viola would have gotten even angrier, so he didn't.

Lafew approached a lanky man in his forties. That summer Lafew had let his hair grow a little longer, he was dressed poorly and he'd stopped taking his medications. He'd been told he looked and moved a little differently when he wasn't on meds. Lafew fooled himself that if he kept his eyes down to the ground, the man wouldn't look at them.

"What are the cardboard figures for?" he decided to ask.

"We wanted to show them to the students on the bus. We will light them on fire tonight," the man explained cheerfully.

"And I'd been meaning to ask..." Lafew couldn't help but bite his lip. "About the nickname, Impostor King. I thought it was the nickname of John Kareninish."

Durain wasn't the only Regent who'd been slaughtered. Before him, his predecessor Astrid had been unjustly killed by John Kareninish, who claimed he was the True King, but he wasn't. Hence, he earnt that nickname. He was mad, and cruel, and Peretti became famous because he'd fought him.

Lafew recalled, his stomach in a knot, how Viola had told him Peretti and Kareninish used to be very close friends, and destining the Impostor King to torture had almost driven mad with guilty the current Regent.

"That is John Kareninish' nickname alright," the man agreed. "But it applies to Lafew Merman as well, don't you think? It's more relevant, in these trying times, to remember who the new Impostor is. Even though his side still claims he's the real deal."

Lafew nodded uneasily. 

Then, he noticed for the first time that Pembroke was right behind him. "You know," Pembroke confided. "I've heard it said that his adoptive brother, a talented hunk, is still embarrassed for the way everything went down. Merman's family will take precautions." Lafew flinched quite visibly when Pembroke added, to his surprise, "But that's only what I heard. It wouldn't surprise me if the brother had it in him to show an ounce of loyalty..."