Chapter Eight: Tranio

Art and Tranio were discussing an article they'd found on the Titania's Tittletale. It was an interview with Bertram de Polignac.

"I think they shouldn't have fired him," Art told Tranio. "While it was true that back then it was considered a bad move to show so much support for Lafew, things have changed and his trial could prove men like Bertram weren't entirely wrong. He might not be the True King, but other people are still on his side openly like Peretti. And Tiffany is pretty outspoken too. "

"I don't agree," Montana snickered. "I think he should have been thrown out of the Noblesse... and his daughter, too. Celia... she's kind of odd, isn't she?"

"Celia..." Art paled visibly, as if he'd just remembered something about her. "I have to find some way to find out how she feels about the interview. And if she feels bad for the unwanted attention... well, not that I mean anything by it, of course, she's a blonde, but you know, they have feelings too..."

"And what are you going to tell her to make her feel better?" Tranio teased him.

"Oh that's easy, that even my grandparents rooted for the wrong person once," Art said cheerfully, like that person wasn't the cruel Impostor King John Kareninish.

"Nobody deserves to be thrown out, by the way," Tranio snapped at Montana, a little on edge. 

Provost wasn't even really supposed to be a part of the conversation in the first place, but he often came to talk with Art and Tranio, if the right occasion arose.

Honestly, Tranio even thought Celia was pretty cool --- but he wouldn't tell Montana that. He wouldn't understand why.

Tranio did not like thinking about people getting asked to leave the Noblesse. And, aside, from the obvious reason, there was a personal one.

Sir Mouldy had begun e-mailing his father copies of his written essays, after Mister Fair had asked him why Tranio's grades were so low.

But before his father knew the reason, he just thought Mouldy was sending him the school work for a laugh. 

When he wrote back, he had written, "I can't wait for Driscoll to claim his place as the True King. Some people really should be thrown out of the Noblesse, LMFAO"

After that mistep, Tranio's father, instead of being angry with Tobias Mouldy, had begun getting even angrier with his son.

What Tranio told Silvius and Ariel about his summer was all true, but some things he kept to himself.

He didn't tell them that Mouldy had brought back an object from the Hortensia line, for example. A slice of cake like the one Alice eats in Wonderland, but that it would make you tell the truth, instead of changing your size.

He didn't talk about the way the Professor had forced it down his throat, or all the things he'd said, including how he had a crush on Lafew.

Well, it could have been worse --- Tranio was sure that by then it was something way deeper than a crush, but he didn't say.

That summer, the Rebellion hadn't been bothered to stay hidden. Tranio's uncle, Romeo Harper, went to dinner at their house, along with another known member, Diomedes Cumènal. Other less known members included Montana's father and Sir Mouldy himself.

Tranio didn't lie when he said Julius Driscoll himself had come to their house. How and when he could have managed it without being spotted Tranio didn't exactly know, but he thought it might have something to do with the Seer working for him.

That night, all the members of the Rebellion were there.

That was the night where Tranio had told them all he would never be a part of it.