Chapter Six: Lafew

To get the students' minds off the recent murder, Gehry sent an invitation to the whole school of Thyssen to go to Oxford to his fiftieth birthday party.

He encouraged the pupils and the Professors to go as couples, because there could be dancing. Lafew knew who he wanted to bring, but he didn't think this person would accept.

When the day of the birthday came, Lafew still hadn't asked anyone. He was wearing a simple suit that he bought for events such as this, after Pembroke had showed him one could be stylish even in modest clothes at the party they'd thrown Lafew the year before. Lafew realised it had been a while since he'd cared about the way he looked, but looking in the mirror he found out he didn't look too bad. He had a muscular and lean physique thanks to Peretti's advice to train with the sword during the spare hours, and he didn't look so much like his father anymore, except for the olive skin and blond curls. But the fine bones in his face and the cheekbones, not to mention the almond-shaped eyes, made him look a lot more similar to his mother.

He had also grown a few inches. He probably wasn't going to grow any more. And it wasn't much, he still considered himself a runt, but it was something. Tranio had grown taller than him, but not by much.

He already knew Ralph wanted to go with Viola, but he was surprised to hear she accepted. If anything, to spite the meanest students. She'd heard a few of them whispering that morning, and Caius Timberley had said that he would have asked her out because she was beautiful, if only she hadn't been so intimidating. Lafew already knew Ursula was bringing Gratiano.

He met Tranio in the Hall, where the students gathered to take the bus. "Would... youliketogotothepartywithme?" Lafew asked, too fast for anyone to make out.

Tranio frowned at him. "Why, Merman, I thought you'd never ask," he cracked a joke, but with a dry tone.

"So, you want to come?" Lafew asked.

"No," Tranio replied.

Lafew felt as if the world had shattered around him. But, he had to keep his nerves under pressure. Like Peretti had taught him.

"I know you don't want to talk to me anymore," Lafew said, with a courage he didn't know where it was coming from. "And I also know why. But, it doesn't matter to me. I knew you wouldn't have taken it well, so I want you to know -- you want to avoid me? Fine. But I do not want to avoid you. So, if you have nothing better to do, come to the party with me. I won't try anything funny."

Tranio looked surprised Lafew had had the guts to speak out. "Okay," he shrugged. "After all my father is being checked under house arrest, so he won't be there."

When they arrived at the Hand's house, Gehry stopped short in front of Tranio and Lafew. All of the teachers were still waiting outside the door.

"I'm afraid it isn't possible," he told Lafew. "To bring a male plus one to the party."

"Bloody hell, sir, you should have told Ursula as much," Lafew replied dryly. "I'm pretty sure her plus one is a boy."

Tranio chuckled lightly, as if he couldn't help himself.

Silvius Steichen looked at Lafew, exhaling. "You're just like your mother," he decided. "Or your father. I can't decide. Both were a pain in the ass." 

"You know what I mean, Merman," Gehry said. "Fair has to sit this one out. And not just because he's a boy, but because he is who he is. There's been talks his father might be imprisoned in a tree, killed or be sent to America."

"Yeah, I guess that stains the reputation of this ever so fair institution," Lafew grinned. "To admit that, for years, you all thought Maria Fair was alive and well when she was just really a figment of Tranio's magic."