Chapter Eighteen: Lafew

Either even a man like Gehry knew one and one made two, or something of what Lafew had witnessed on the megascreen had ignited the souls of the few witnesses who were there. Still, reading his emails, he found out Tranio's words were true. Everyone now referred to him as the True King, and people seemed to like him again.

Well, partly.

The Tittle-Tattle was the first to publish, and it shone a light on the truth. People liked Lafew because they believe he'd martyred himself for the people. Besides, this made one prophecy true.

The article read,

THE TRUE KING --- BUT DOES HE HAVE A TRUE CHOICE?

'Some people, [me, ed.] have always referred to the young hero as The True King. There's something in those bright tawny eyes and square jaw that made me understand Merman was the messiah we'd been waiting for. Besides, the only thing that would be more glamorous than getting out of Driscoll's clutches is doing it twice, and Merman became a survivor at five years old. It only makes sense for him to defeat Driscoll in adulthood, with his skills expanded to the full capacity of an adult male.

Still, there is a tragedy at the core of it. He's being called the True King, but does he have a true choice? From his future career, to his love life (our insiders say things got rough with his Irish paramour due to the pressure of both families), we wonder how much of his life is in his hands.

Speaking of which, we know the haters out there like to spread the rumor that the True King is dead, but we do not believe it. Our insider told us he's spent the summer resting in bed instead of going out to defeat Driscoll, where the Yellow Eyed Hero was most needed.

We presume it's only fair. In Lafew's big strong hands already rest all of our futures, of course there's no space for his as well.

'Tis a pity, though'

Lafew started punching the screen, not caring if it cracked. The article was crap. Nothing but crap. It wasn't even well written.

But Titania was right. He had no control over his life at all.

But then, like many other times he was online, he decided to do something much more perilous. He read the comments. 

'What do you mean, pressure from both families?' someone asked. 'Merman has no family.'

Lafew started yelling and threw the iPad on the floor.

Everyone had always known him, but now it was worse. They had no respect for him, even though they called him King.

At that moment, somebody opened the door.

"Would you stop screaming like a savage? Last year it was in your sleep, now do you have to do it in daylight too? "

He stopped abruptly. For the person behind the door was Shylock Etting. The Regent didn't tell Lafew he would come to visit, but he'd showed up the day before, and the two had already gotten in a row.

Every once every few months it seemed as if Shylock increased his drinking, and thus was more violent and mean. Lafew had seen him only one day, but he'd been cruel.

"I only came to get a look at you," he added then. "And deliver a message."

Lafew followed him, trying not to make a sound. He was sassy with the Ettings at first, even though he was often punished for it. But, in recent years, Shylock had beaten any will to create conflict with them out of him. Now, Lafew simply did his best to pretend he didn't exist, like they asked.

He just wasn't very good at it.

The person waiting for them was Peretti.

"I need to have a few words with the boy first," he said.