40

A/N: *coughs* smut warning *coughs*

"I'm fucking sorry, WHAT-" Rhysand shouted, his hands out in front of him like he was begging for something. "Since when? Why would you not tell me that before you left?" He looked hurt, betrayed. Of which he had no right to be either.

"It doesn't matter, because you're not sending her to die again," Azriel snarled from behind Callie, his chest pressed against her back once more. His chest was heaving like he was panicking. Callie reached back and twined her fingers through his, a small comfort.

"If I would have known, we could have figured it out so much sooner-"

"Listen to me," Callie said, trying to keep her voice from yelling, despite the fact that she was itching to. It felt stuck in her throat how badly she wanted to scream. Just scream and scream and scream until she shredded her vocal cords. But if she started, she wasn't sure she'd be able to stop.

"Did you just not trust me-"

"I DIDN'T KNOW!" She shouted. Rhysand blinked, like he was shocked she had reacted to his outburst. Shocked she hadn't just coddled him like the High Lord was likely accustomed to.

"What?" He said, face contorting in confusion.

"I didn't know," she repeated, running a hand through her hair. "I discovered it when Azriel was hurt a few weeks ago. I never knew it was something I could do. I have no training or any idea how to wield it voluntarily. I'm positive it only worked because I was so afraid of losing him." Azriel squeezed her hand tightly in his at her words.

Rhysand stared at the ground like he was trying to break a secret code.

"But why-... I don't understand why it wouldn't have manifested at a younger age," Rhysand said. He shook his head to clear his thoughts, but they still felt jumbled.

"I don't know," Callie sighed.

"But I-"

"Enough," Azriel said, sensing the rising overwhelm in Callie's body. If she didn't take a moment, she was going to explode and say things she'd regret. The hand that wasn't holding hers caressed her hip. "We all need space to think, and I think that's enough for today."

Callie's knees could have given out due to the relief she felt that Azriel had known what she needed. She wasn't certain she would have been able to ask for it herself. It seemed much of her must be the same as it was before for him to still have so much about her, her mind and body language memorized. It made her feel safe in a way she only ever had with Vera.

Rhysand opened his mouth to argue but stopped himself. He nodded, shoving his hands in his pockets and shifting his weight awkwardly. Callie knew he was trying and that he'd been making himself miserable over every decision he'd made. Perhaps he needed the time to himself even more than she did.

"I'm going to keep walking," Rhys said, not meeting their eyes. "I'll see you both tomorrow." He turned his back to them without another word and continued on down the path. Azriel scooped under Callie's legs, lifting her into his arms without warning. She squeaked in surprise, wrapping her arms around his neck. A corner of his mouth twitched upwards.

"Thank you," Callie said, burying her face in his neck and pressing a kiss to the skin there. Callie chuckled at the goosebumps that covered his skin in response. He leaned into her touch, jostling her slightly as he walked them both back to the house.

Once they were through the door, Azriel ignored everyone and went straight to their bedroom, kicking the door shut behind him. He carried Callie into their bathroom and sat her down on the sink, pushing her thighs apart to stand between her legs.