Chapter 2: Rapunzel's Return Part 1

Rapunzel's nerves were through the roof as she and her friends were flying in a hot-air balloon to make it home. When Ulf arrived at the Dark Kingdom with the distressing news of invaders in Corona, she and company made no haste to board their mode of transportation to get there. After Cassandra went rogue and stole the Moonstone, word of her kingdom being attacked was the last thing the princess wanted to hear. Her heart rate was going faster than Maximus at full gallop and her knuckles turned white as gripped the rim of the balloon's basket. There was no telling what awaited for upon their arrival and Rapunzel was having mixed feelings. On one hand, she was happy to be heading back to Corona. It was nice to be finally going home after all that time on the road. On the other hand, there was a sense of dread as to what might've been happening over there. Were her subjects okay? Was anyone getting hurt? Were there any casualties?

That's what terrified the princess most of all. Was anyone killed while she was gone? Rapunzel was already suffering from Cassandra's disappearance. She couldn't handle much more heartache.

In a instant, her breathing stopped and she stared off into space, her eyes squinting in deep thought. Anxiety and panic came crashing down upon the princess like a tidal wave and she squeezed the balloon basket tighter. She felt a hot flash and couldn't find the ability to breath.

Rapunzel's panic induced trance finally ended when Eugene took her hand and she jumped in response to his presence.

"Take a breath, Sunshine." he whispered in her ear as she followed his instructions. "In for four seconds and out for four seconds. That's it. Good job. Look, everything's going to be okay."

The princess remembered when her boyfriend first taught her that breathing exercise when she was just starting to adjust to castle life. As she regained her composure, Rapunzel was glad to count on Eugene to help keep her grounded.

"You're probably right. I got lost in my head." she said with a painful smile. "I'm sure that our friends back home are just fine!"

Pascal and Eugene could tell that the princess was still in denial from earlier events. The faithful chameleon lightly patted his best friend on her cheek while the dark prince cuddled Rapunzel close to his chest.

After days of soaring through the sky, the gang's hot-air balloon landed in Corona at last. Everybody in the basket cheered happily as the balloon touched the ground. It was so great to be back in their home kingdom after being away for so long.

"Finally!" Eugene was the first to speak as he jumped out of the basket. "No offense to any of you people, but we've been together for way too long and I need a break from your faces. Except for you Rapunzel."

He helped his girlfriend out of the basket and gave her a side smile.

"I can't believe how much I missed home! Home!" Rapunzel said full of glee as she frolicked down the cobblestone roads of her kingdom, visiting her favorite places. "Oh! How I've missed everything so much!"

"I missed the bookstore!" She lightly smacked the store's hanging sign.

"And I missed the fountain!" She gently splashed the water inside.

"Oh, I missed the sweet shop and bakery! Yum!" She enthusiastically pulled her boyfriend to the conjoined buildings.

"You know what I missed about Corona?" Lance brought up, adding to the conservation. "The people."

But that was when he noticed that they were the only ones here, "In fact, I'm still missing the people."

Rapunzel realized that Lance was right. She was expecting at least a handful of people coming to welcome them back, but the capital town was virtually a ghost town. The princess could feel that sense of dread creeping up on her again.