Chapter 15: Princess Varian

Even when she was around, Cassandra didn't want to indulge in Rapunzel's girly, artsy activities. And most of her friends, except for Pascal, didn't have the time to engage in those kinds of things. Which was why the princess was very surprised that when she asked Varian if he wanted to, he actually said yes. Despite having no experience with things like embroidering, he picked up on it fast. The kid was already a good artist with his skills in drawing to go by so painting helped expand that horizon with a splash of color. But most of all, Varian actually had fun doing these things with Rapunzel.

Today, the princess was in her room, adding a new entry in her journal and showing the young alchemist her work. The painting told of the time Varian, Rapunzel, and Eugene crafted a bracelet at the Day of Hearts festival. It was such a happy memory.

"What do you think, Varian?" the sundrop asked her charge.

"Wow. You captured the memory perfectly." the child praised her, giving a thumbs-up of approval.

Suddenly, the two of them were interrupted by a knock at the door. A handmaiden entered the room with an envelope with a lion on the wax seal.

"Your Highness, a letter for you. From Queen Hilda of Ingvarr." the handmaiden informed the princess, handing her the envelope and walking out.

"Oh, thank you." Rapunzel said loudly.

"Ingvarr? You mean the kingdom of female warriors and groundbreaking engineering?" Varian inquired, his excitement building up. "I wonder what the queen has to say."

The sundrop broke the wax seal and opened the envelope to read the letter inside.

Dear Princess Rapunzel,

I have been contemplating on your performance during the Contest of the Crowns two years prior. Looking back, I've come to realize how unfair it was for you to be thrust into the tournament with little experience of being a princess. Which is why after much discussion with the queens of the other seven kingdoms, we would like to host a first of its kind do-over of the competition. The slate will be wiped clean. Now, given your mother's... current condition, we will keep the events consistent so as to not put so much mental strain on her. My daughters and the other princesses of the seven kingdoms look forward to competing with you again at the end of next week. And everyone else can't wait to see how much you've improved. We will see you soon.

Warm Regards,

Queen Hilda of Ingvarr

"Didn't you and Cassandra play in that tournament way back when?" Varian recalled.

"We... did." Rapunzel answered uncomfortably. "But with her being... not here, I don't know who I'm gonna have as a partner this time."

The teen understood his guardian's sudden shift in mood. The Contest of the Crowns wasn't just an event that the princess and Cassandra competed in together. It was the thing that first sparked their friendship. There was a lot of sentimental value behind that. Varian wished that there was a way he could help Rapunzel when her grief for her best friend was really heading home. And then, he happened upon an idea.

"Why don't I be your partner?" the child suggested.

"You mean it?" the princess lit up immediately.

"Sure. You deserve to have a partner who has your best interests at heart." Varian told her. "Besides, I'm sure your parents won't mind."

"Okay. Let's go find my mom and dad so we can tell them the news." Rapunzel spoke as the two of them ran out the bedroom hand-in-hand. "This is going to be so much fun!"

In the throne room, the princess discussed the tidings with the king and queen. Eugene, who was also there, was admittedly stunned to hear about Varian's request to be paired with Rapunzel for the tournament.