Chapter 3: Rapunzel's Return Part 2

The sound of a child's blood curdling scream was the first thing Rapunzel heard when she came to: Varian's scream. Her eyes opened and panic began to flood her system. She looked around, but couldn't find anyone in sight.

"Pascal?" she said, uncovering her little chameleon from her hair and scooping him in her hands. "Are you alright?"

Pascal gave a shaken, but conforming squeak that he was fine; relieving his best friend.

"Is everyone okay?!" the princess called out, looking around for her friends.

"Give me a minute." Lance answered with a groan as he sat up.

"There is a horse on me." Rapunzel heard Eugene's muffled voice from under Maximus.

Once the stallion got up, Eugene took a very much needed breath of fresh air.

Lance was alerted by the sound of Varian crying out for the princess too. But, his heart dropped when he saw that the kid was gone. The former thief was very scared for the kid's safety and everything in him wanted to rescue him from wherever he was now.

"I got the rope!" Clementine's voice chimed, alerting the group. Kai whined in response of doing more menial labor.

Quickly, Eugene took a hold of Rapunzel's arm and tried to pull his girlfriend away from the fray.

"Blondie, we gotta go!" he urged the princess.

"What?" Rapunzel was beside herself that Eugene was suggesting that they flee rather than confront the bad guys. "No! We have to stay and fight! We can't just let them- I mean- they can't, no!"

She reached down to grab her handy-dandy frying pan, ready for round two.

"They will love a face full of frying pannnnnsss?" she was shocked to find her trusty weapon was badly misshapened. It must've happened from the force of the explosion.

"Blondie, trust me. It's better to live to fight another day." Eugene wisely said as everybody ran as fast as they could.

"We'll come back for you, kid. You can count on it." Lance thought, glancing back at the castle as the Saporians minus Andrew chased the Coronans.

"GUYS C'MON! THEY'RE GETTING AWAY!" Juniper exclaimed.

Soon, the group of Coronans retreated to Xavier's forgery to hide and tried their hardest to stay quiet.

All the while, Rapunzel's mind was focused on one thing: Varian. She kept asking herself why the child was so catatonic back there. She knew that he didn't want to help the Saporians, so what was keeping him getting away from them and helping the princess? Did Varian like the Saporians more than he liked her? Did they treat him better than she did back then? Were they... better at keeping promises? Looking back on how she broke her promise to poor Varian almost a year ago, she wished that things didn't turn out the way they did. Especially since she was so fond of the boy back when they were friends. He may have done regrettable actions, but Rapunzel didn't hate the child. She never did.

Her train of thought came to a crashing halt when she heard Maisie's voice say, "We cannot allow the princess and her gang to interfere with New Saporia's takeover of Corona."

The Saporians were combing the streets looking for the escaped Coronans with Kai using a lantern to illuminate their way. And they were edging closer to their hiding place. Rapunzel grabbed a pair of pliers and was about to attack when Eugene lightly pulled her back and put a finger to his lips, urging her not to engage.

"Ooh, did you see something?" Clementine asked Kai who was dangerously close to where the princess was hunkered down.

"Yes. Look at these shoes of equine oppression." the big Saporian said directly his attention to a horseshoe.