Chapter 6: Return of the King

One thing that Varian was quick to love again about Rapunzel was how down-to-earth and altruistic she was, especially when it came to her kingdom. She may be acting queen, but that didn't stop her from giving back to her subjects. Whatever her people needed or wanted, the sundrop was all too happy to provide. Rapunzel was such an active presence in Corona's community because that was just her style. Varian hoped that one day, the kingdom could trust him enough again and appreciate the help that he and his own talents had to offer, similar to the princess's.

Today, Rapunzel was going around the Coronan town square assisting her people no matter how big or small the help.

"Oh, I would tilt it this way, Feldspar, so it's visible to the afternoon traffic." she suggested as she turned a sign for a sale that the shoemaker's shop towards the street.

"Princess Rapunzel!" a little girl called out as her runaway ball rolled towards the princess.

"Keep your eye on the ball." the sundrop told her, handing the ball back, much to the girl's delight. "And watch that follow-through."

Rapunzel approached a man with a stand of men's accessories. He was aspiring to open a men's dressing store, but needed a royal approval before that could become a reality. Thank goodness for the princess.

"Your plans are approved! Build that haberdashery." she beamed giving the blueprints back to the very happy business owner before twirling jubilantly. "Live the dream!"

She then approached a horse and scratched his muzzle promising, "Oat delivery tonight."

"Wow, I'm impressed. You take acting queen to a whole new level." Varian praised Rapunzel. She smiled kindly at her friend's compliment.

"Rapunzel, you realize that as queen, you don't need to be out in the streets all the time, right?" Eugene said.

"Well, remember, technically I'm still a princess." the sundrop replied smugly. "Besides, this is where the real action is."

All of a sudden, the trio were alerted to the neigh of a horse carrying a cart of hay. She was being startled by a rat that was crossing her path. Her master tried to calm her down, to no avail and she bolted in a panic.

"Watch out!" Eugene cried out as he, Rapunzel, and Varian darted out of the way. Immediately, they mounted onto their horses to catch the runaway cart. Eugene on Max, Rapunzel and Varian on Fidella. "And there's the action, right on cue."

As they as raced after the panicked horse, there were shouts of people who barely missed getting hit.

"Sorry! Official royal business!" Varian yelled apologetically.

"Guys, look! A dead end!" Rapunzel alerted her friends.

"She's got nowhere to go now." Eugene said.

But that dead end turned out to have an escape route to the left-hand side which the horse took.

"Or maybe she does." Varian spoke. "Bank left!"

The riding group took a sharp left turn into an alleyway that was definitely unfamiliar to Eugene.

"Is this a new alley?" the dark prince asked.

The scared horse showed no sign of slowing down. The only way the trio could possibly now was to do it manually.

"Get us as close as you can!" Varian told Fidella.

The mare did so and Rapunzel slowly stood on the saddle. The young boy did the same, his arms wrapped around the princess for support. Pascal was the first to leap onto the cart.