Chapter 5: Sleepless in Corona

It had been a few days since Varian had settled in the castle and things were finally starting to look up in his life. As long as he was in the company of his friends, his new living arrangement was a pretty safe environment. And the best part was that he could come and go as he pleased.

In addition to that, Nigel was no longer the boy any grief. Granted, he was still giving Varian silent dirty looks; practically watching him like a hawk. But, he supposed it was better than being heckled all the time.

The young alchemist was just about to walk into the library when suddenly, a pair of royal guards blocked the double doors with their halberds.

"Whoa, guys! What's the big idea?! Can I please get by?" Varian snapped in indignation.

"Sorry, but you're coming with us." one of the guards said as they both grabbed each of his arms and dragged him away.

"Hey, where are you taking me?! S-Stop!!" the teen protested as he squirmed and kicked.

"We have our orders." the other guard informed. "We are to take you back to the dungeon effective immediately."

"But, Rapunzel p-pardoned me for my misdeeds!" Varian argued "She would never g-give an order like that!"

"Our orders are not from the princess."

"Then, who are they from?"

"They are from me." a familiar voice sneered as the royal advisor stepped into view with a conniving grin on his face. He then proceeded to trail the guards as they continued to drag the child.

"Nigel. How dare you give orders behind the princess's back!" Varian shouted in a accusatory tone. "When she finds out about this, you are in big trouble!"

"Unfortunately, the princess has no say on the matter." Nigel replied. "You are to be locked up with the Saporians, as you should have from the beginning."

Eventually, the teen alchemist ended down in the dungeon to an open cell just waiting for him. And with a curt gesture from Nigel, the guards threw Varian into the cell as he screamed.

"Now you're back where you belong. With the rest of your fellow terrorist scum." the royal advisor smiled wickedly as he shut the barred door and walked off.

"No!" the boy cried out, gripping the bars as his eyes welled up. "Please let me out! I'm n-not the bad guy anymore!"

"Hey, kid." Andrew's voice breathed as Varian's abuser appeared from behind him. "So glad you could join us. We have a lot of catching up to do."

For a moment, the child was paralyzed with fear. And then, a bunch of black rocks started spiking through the floor. They destroyed the cell door so Varian used this as an opportunity to get away from the evil separatist. He ran until he saw that he wasn't in the dungeon or even in the castle for that matter anymore. Instead, the boy was in a dark plain with black rocks as tall as trees and the full moon in the sky being his only source of light.

"Varian." a new voice called out to him. "Varian. Come to me."

"Who's there? Where are you?" Varian asked as he turned around to find the source of the voice.

And then, Andrew came up from behind again yelling, "Gotcha!"

The kid shrieked as he was blinded by a blue light that seemed to come from himself.

He gasped and woke up in a cold sweat. The glow dimmed from his blue hair streak as it fell over his face. Varian then noticed that Ruddiger was on the edge of his comfy bed with his tail puffed in surprise.