Chapter 13: Varian and the Children of the Night Part 2

Previously, Varian and the Fellowship of the Sundrop were having a night out at the Snuggly Duckling, having a good time. That's when Varian met a strange man named Lawrence who seemed to have eyes for the young alchemist. Rapunzel was immediately skeptical of this shady character, especially since he was getting really close to her boy. And then, there was a supposed vampire sighting in Old Corona. Xavier guessed that it might be one of the legendary "Children of the Night." He then tells the Fellowship of the Sundrop about the approaching "blood moon" or lunar eclipse, and warned that it could affect Varian negatively. Unfortunately, the little alchemist discovered the truth too late as the vampires captured him.

At the castle, Rapunzel is on her way to back to her room when she noticed that Varian's door was open a crack. Curious, the princess decided to sneak a peek and see if the teen was okay.

"Varian, why are you-" she asked, only to be cut off when she realized that Varian wasn't in bed. In fact, he wasn't in his room anymore. The duvet was rustled, the armoire was wide open, and there was a note on the child's night table. The sundrop read the paper and her heart dropped to her stomach. "Oh no. Varian!"

"Blondie, what's the matter?" Eugene yelled, bursting into the bedroom with Lance close behind.

"It's Varian! He's gone!" Rapunzel answered in distress.

"What?!" both men interjected.

"We've gotta find him, fast. He could be in great danger." the princess stated.

According to Varian's note, he said he was heading to the Snuggly Duckling. So the Fellowship of the Sundrop decided to head over there and see if they might bump into the young alchemist along the way. But so far, there was no sign of their teenage friend.

As for Rapunzel, her worries for her boy were through the roof. She knew Lawrence was a bad influence from the start. What she didn't know was just how bad he really was. Isolating Varian, touching him, and kissing his cheeks were already red flags. But the sundrop wished that she had reacted before finding out that Lawrence was really a blood sucking monster.

"We have to find Varian before those vampires catch him." the princess stated as her friends stopped to catch their breath.

"Uh, Sunshine? I think it might be a little too late for that." Eugene told her, pointing up at the night sky.

Everyone looked up and to their horror, saw Varian, his unconscious body hanging limp as he was being carried off by a flock of bats.

"Varian, no!" Rapunzel helplessly cried out.

"Where are they taking him?" Kiera asked.

"Let's follow them and find out." the princess answered determinedly.

As soon as the team got their second wind, they took off running again after the flock of bats.

The winged monsters continued flying until they approached a wide clearing at the edge of the woods. And then, they carefully made their descent while carrying their precious cargo. As soon as Varian was on the ground, the vampire bats turned back into their humanoid forms.

"Father, the Moon Child as promised." Elizabeth stated to a masculine silhouette.

"Ah, well done, my children. I knew you would come through." the silhouette said as he emerged to reveal Lawrence in the moonlight, his fangs gleaming. He looked down at the sleeping boy before him. "I trust there wasn't much of a struggle?"

"Of course not. He didn't put up a fight at all." Sable answered.

"Well, you were instructed to make sure he did not do so, were you not?" Lawrence replied, looking cross.