Chapter six

The siblings were at the shopping mall, ticking off items from the school supply list provided by Damien. With the start of school just three days away, the twins were unusually excited, though their emotions remained concealed behind stoic expressions, a trait that was becoming characteristic of them.

"Ok, have fun," Vincent called out as they dispersed to tackle their individual shopping missions. Blake and Brielle headed for the office supplies section, pushing a buggy loaded with anticipation.

"What's first on the list?" Brielle inquired, eyeing the checklist.

"Pens," Blake replied, and they navigated toward the writing utensil aisle. Brielle suggested picking the big pack, and Blake readily agreed. The duo continued gathering essentials-highlighters, led pencils, number 2 pencils, pens, and color utensils.

"Next, notebooks and papers," Blake directed, and Brielle guided them to the corresponding aisle. In no time, they had acquired everything on the list, with Blake dutifully trailing behind Brielle, bags in hand.

"Let's go in there," Brielle suddenly suggested, pointing to the dollar store.

"Why?" Blake inquired. Without a verbal response, Brielle led the way, picking up a basket and heading to the hair care section. She swiftly selected two travel bags-one for a girl kit and another for a first aid kit. Observing her choices, Blake remarked, "Oh, you're making kits." Brielle simply nodded and proceeded to gather other items like a comb, hair ties, a mini brush, a mini mirror, scrunchies, and bobby pins. She then moved on to medical supplies, excluding pain meds due to the school's regulations. At the checkout counter, she added a sewing kit and chapstick to her acquisitions.

As they left the store, Brielle noticed a man observing them. Ignoring his presence, they continued walking. However, the man followed them, prompting Blake to give Brielle a questioning look. Despite the situation, they remained composed. Eventually leaving the mall, the man approached them.

"Hey, kids," he greeted.

Without hesitation, the man attempted to grab Brielle, but she deftly evaded his reach. Blake, confident in Brielle's ability to handle the situation, took charge of their bags. Undeterred, the man tried again, only to find himself with his hand forcefully restrained behind his back by Brielle. The pain elicited a yelp, followed by a well-placed kick.

"You bitch!" the man exclaimed, attempting to retaliate with a punch. Brielle effortlessly dodged, countering with a punch of her own that rendered him unconscious.

"Hey, is everything okay?" Johnathan asked as they approached, joined by Jackson.

"He was trying to touch me," Brielle calmly explained, her bag now back in her possession. "So, I taught him a lesson. Is Dad on the way here?".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In Damien's office, the Storms gathered, watching the security footage of Brielle's encounter with the man in the mall. Ethan, bringing in a computer, played the recording, and the room was filled with the sounds of Brielle expertly handling the situation.

"Okay, my sister is a badass," Johnathan remarked with a grin.

"Yeah," Jackson agreed, clearly impressed.

"Alright, where is this man?" Victor inquired.

"In the basement," Ethan replied matter-of-factly.

"Okay. Johnathan and Jackson, go hang out with the twins," Vincent directed. "Before you say something, you can take your turn on him later."

The atmosphere in the room shifted, and the brothers exchanged glances, perhaps contemplating their own methods of dealing with the intruder. The office door closed behind Johnathan and Jackson as they left, leaving the remaining Storms to process the events that had unfolded.