Chapter twenty

"you're all good to go," the doctor announced, bringing a smile to Brielle's face as she was relieved to have her stitches removed. It had been almost two weeks since her surgery, and she was at the doctor's office for her check-up. Everything looked good.

"Thank you," Damien replied gratefully as the doctor left. He glanced over at Brielle, who was getting her jacket on.

Damien had picked her up from school, and now they were heading back home. They made their way to the checkout desk, where Damien spoke with the nurse. Brielle scanned the room and saw a man looking at her. He seemed very familiar, and she felt her breath catch in her throat.

Turning to face Damien, she started, "Dad..."

"Yes, sweetie?" Damien responded, looking at her.

"I'm hungry. Can we get some food on the way home?" Brielle quickly interjected, trying to shake off the uneasy feeling.

"Sure, we can. Where do you want to go?" Damien asked.

"Um, Chick-fil-A. We can pick up some for the boys. But you know, you're the master of the car here," Brielle said, emphasizing the last words. Damien seemed to understand.

"I am the master here," he affirmed, placing his hand on her shoulder. Brielle nodded, subtly gesturing toward the man she had noticed earlier. Damien followed her gaze and their eyes met.

"Okay, Bri, let's go," Damien said. They finished checking out and walked out of the office, with Brielle maintaining a tight hold on Damien's hand. Once they reached the car, she quickly locked it.

"I still want Chick-fil-A," Brielle reiterated.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"So, you just walked out?" Oliver asked, intrigued by Brielle's story about the doctor's office. Brielle simply continued munching on her waffle fry and shook her head. They were all gathered in her sitting room, discussing the events of the day, with Brielle giving her brothers a rundown of her doctor's appointment.

"You're very brave for someone your age," commented Johnathan.

"Thank you, Johnny," Brielle replied with a smile.

"Haha, I got a nickname!" Johnathan exclaimed happily.

"Now come on, Bri, you have to give us all nicknames so we don't think you have a favorite brother," Jackson chimed in.

"Well, I do have a favorite," Brielle retorted.

"Who?" all the Storm brothers asked in unison.

"Blake. He's my twin," Brielle stated matter-of-factly.

"That makes sense. But we all still want nicknames, Bri," Vincent said.

"Okay," Brielle acquiesced. She pointed at Jackson. "Jackie." Then to Oliver. "Ollie." Oscar was next, becoming Ozzie. Brielle pointed to Vincent and Victor at the same time. Vincent became Vinny and Victor became Vick.

"There, now everyone has nicknames," Brielle declared as she got up from her seat. She disposed of her trash and then made her way to her closet.

Changing out of her outfit into a blue set of silk pajamas, Brielle also slipped on her slippers and robe. Walking out of her closet and to her vanity, she retrieved some face masks.

Turning back to her brothers, Brielle asked, "Do you guys want to do face masks with me?"

The Storms exchanged looks, unable to refuse Brielle's invitation. "Sure," they all agreed. Brielle smiled and handed each of them a mask.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"You need to find him now," Damien said into his phone. He hung up and closed his laptop, picking up his drink for a sip. Just then, there was a knock at the door.

"Come in," Damien called out. The door opened, and Vincent entered, sporting a bright pink face mask and a bright purple headband.

"What do you have on your face?" Damien chuckled.

"Brielle wanted me to do a face mask with her," Vincent explained.

Damien laughed. "She has us all wrapped around her little finger."

Vincent chuckled in agreement. "She wants you to come join us," he added, remembering why he had come to his father's office.

Damien smiled and followed Vincent to Brielle's room, where she eagerly pulled him along to her vanity. The chair was too small for him, causing his knees to bend awkwardly. Brielle fetched a headband to push back his hair before holding up two face masks.

"Which one, Dad?" she asked.

"The second one," he replied. Brielle opened it and applied the sheet face mask, then grabbed her face roller and gently rolled it over his face, which Damien found surprisingly relaxing.

"Okay, now you wait," she instructed once she finished. Damien smiled and settled into the chair.

Meanwhile, Brielle grabbed her hairbrush and made her way over to Blake, who extended his hand for the brush.

"Welcome to the club, Dad," Johnathan teased.

"I'm the princess of the club," Brielle declared with a grin, eliciting laughter from the rest of the Storms. Indeed, Brielle was the princess of their little gathering.

"Yes, you are, Bri," Blake affirmed as he brushed her hair.