Chapter 58

The next morning Trish wakes me up with her loud singing. She's singing probably some new song she heard when she was outside the compound. I groan and roll over putting my pillow over my ears. "Oh come on, I don't sing that bad."

"You sing loud."

"I'm barely above a whisper," Trish argues, and then I realize she's right. Ugh, stupid heightened senses. "What's this?" I feel her walk to my bed and grab something near my head. "Is this a diary?"

My heart stops when I realize she's grabbed my mother's journal. I sit up fast and say, "Give it back."

"Oh come on, what have you been writing in it?"

"Trish, I'm serious. Give it back now."

She takes this as a joke and she says, "I didn't take you for the writing type. Let me just read one page. Please?"

"Trish!"

She laughs and walks around the room jokingly. "Come and get it."

"Give it back, I'm being serious."

"I am too," she walks to her desk and sets in on the table, "What, you don't want me reading your deep dark secrets?"

"Just give it back."

"Just come and get it." I pull the blankets off and jump out of bed, but a wave of dizziness hits me and I grab onto anything to keep my support. "Zoe, you okay?" I hold my head and gently sit down onto the floor. Trish is by my side, "What's going on?"

"Nothing, I'm just not feeling well."

She hands me the journal and I slide it under my pillow. That was a close call. She puts her hand to my forehead says, "You seem to be burning up."

"I'm fine, don't worry." I pause to look at her, I need to get off the subject, "So where were you last night? You didn't come in till late."

Trish smiles, "I was with Shawn."

I raise my eyebrows at her and say, "Doing what?"

"We were just hanging out, you know? I mean we talked and walked around. It was fun."

"I'm glad you guys got to hang out."

"What did you do?"

"I went to sleep early. I didn't fell very well."

Trish slaps her knee then says, "Well let's get you dressed so you can get some breakfast in you."

She helps me stand up, and I make my way to the bathroom. I turn on the sink and wash my face, then grab my tooth brush to brush my teeth. One look in the mirror I decide to redo my bun. I finish brushing my teeth, then I move to pull my bun out. Whoa, my hair feels heavier than it usually does. It's probably from being so drained of energy. I manage to put it up again and then I walk out of the bathroom.

Trish throws me clothes and says, "Get dressed, we are going to be late." I put on the black leggings and the purple tank top she threw me, then after slipping into my flats we head out the door.

"So what did you and Shawn talk about?"

"We just talked about...well you know."

I nod my head, knowing she's talking about her trip she just came back from. The funeral that made her an official orphan. "How did they convince your aunt to let you stay?"

"The Omegas there representing the compound told her I was a brilliant girl and that my tuition was already payed for. They said the school wouldn't be the same if I left. They said it was secure and safe and built towards bettering the younger generation of society."