Chapter 34

Shawn sneaks behind Trish. I see him, but Beast and Nix can't. Trish is trying. I see the strain on her face, and she moves the molecules of water in the air, searching for any sign of where Shawn is. He moves closer, but I'm not allowed to give him away. 

Suddenly, just before he's in arm distance, Trish turns around quickly and gathers the water within the air and splashes Shawn. He falls to the floor soak in a puddle.

"Yes!" Trish throws her hands in the air. Beast laughs while Shawn tries to get up from the puddle surrounding him.

Nix gives him a hand and tosses a towel at him, "Very good, Trish. You are getting really good at sensing." Trish smiles at me, "Zoe, it's your turn to fight."

I step into the center and ask, "With who?"

"Your choice," Nix crosses her arms.

I shrug. I have no idea who to pick. Trish and Shawn just fought, but Beast and I have been paired up this entire time since Flame's been gone. I've learned all his tricks, and that won't help me improve. "May I battle you," I find myself asking as I turn to Nix.

She sighs, "No."

Trish smiles, "Oh come on, that would be so much fun to watch!" Beast and Shawn both nod in agreement. 

Nix shakes her head, "I'm not the kind of person you want to fight, Zoe."

"Why not?"

"Because my ability might be your only weakness."

I straighten, "What could that be then?" I start to turn my eyes to see her ability, but once it starts coming into view my vision fogs up and I get a headache. I look away closing my eyes and holding my head. Beast comes to my side in case my stability is shaken. The headache clears and I look to Nix.

She shrugs lightly, "Told you."

"What is it?" Trish asks.

"It's power negation," I say softly.

Nix shows her shock, "How'd you..."

"You weakened my power, not my brain," I reply back.

She nods, "I'm not allowed to use my ability within the compound unless it's an emergency." 

"Wait," Shawn speaks, "You can weaken other's abilities?"

Nix nods crossing her arms. I can tell she doesn't really like the subject of her ability, much like me, "With just the thought."

He smiles, "That's a cool power."

"That's a unique power," Beast adds.

"It's uncommon, but not rare. There's three others in the compound currently."

"That's pretty rare," I insist.

"Not as rare as being one of the only people to have an ability in the entire world," she eyes me.

"I thought I was the only person with my ability."

I see a slight glint of hesitation within Nix's brown eyes, but she gains control over it quickly. "You are, that's right." She phone starts to buzz in her pocket, so she pulls it out and answers with a "Hello?" The person on the other end starts to speak and Nix seems to think it's important, because right away she tells them to hold on and then turns to Beast, "Fight Zoe, I need to take this call." She returns to her phone and strides off to exit the training room. 

"I wonder who that was," Trish says.

Beast responds, "Doesn't matter. Zoe, you ready?"

I nod, "Sure."