Chapter 17

I head to lunch in a small daze, but I try to hide it. I get to the table in a few minutes and right away Beast knows something's wrong. "You okay, Zoe?"

"Yeah, just fine," I say softly. I don't know what's scaring me the most. The fact that Mr. X is hiding something, or the fact that my stepfather still hasn't given up on giving me my death. Maybe it's the fact that my newly present uncle—whom I've never met before—wants to take me to a compound I didn't even know existed that could potentially let me meet my father or other relatives.

"You sure?" Beast asks, he leans his head a bit to try and make eye contact with my slouched posture, but I look up instead.

"Just worried about today's fight, that's all."

"You don't need to worry, it'll be over pretty quick."

"Don't be so sure about that," I say quietly. Beast doesn't hear me because Trish plops herself beside me complaining about Jack.

"That little jerk ran into me then told me to apologize."

"What'd you say back?" Shawn asks taking a big gulp of his water.

"I walked away," Trish replies. Beast and Shawn freeze and look at her.

"You did what?" Beast asks.

"Walked away. I don't want to get in trouble for fighting again. Mr. X gave me a last chance with the last conference. I'm trying to be better. If I get sent home for fighting, I wouldn't be able to look at my mom again."

"That's really...responsible of you Trish," Beast remarks. 

"Thanks," she looks down and plays with her food. Maybe me being near her has helped? Oh who am I kidding, I couldn't help anyone even if I tired. I just mess things up.

After a few minutes Beast stands, "We should get going, we need to prepare for the fight."

"Fine by me," Shawn says as he stands as well. 

We throw away our trash and make our way to the arena. Flame is standing right outside the door holding it open. "Come on, lunch is almost over. We need to set the names up and such."

We walk in and Flame takes us to the back area of the arena. It's like a little waiting room for us. "You guys know the drill, warm up for a little bit, and wait for your turn to shine."

"Or crash," Beast says.

"Don't doubt yourself so soon. You'd be surprised what a little enthusiasm can do."

"You really think we'll win?" Trish asks.

Flame glances at me and says, "I think if things work out, you'll have a better shot than you say you do." He knows. Just by his expression I know he knows X's plan. I wonder if he's thinking of stopping it. Probably not, the plan is in our favor. 

Mr. X starts speaking to the crowd. Wow, I didn't even hear the lunch bell ring. "Can we watch Jack's team fight?" I ask. 

The others look at me, "Why would you want to do that?" Trish asks me.

"I just want to see," I say softly.

"I guess you can sit with me and watch," Flame offers. He looks to the door we entered from then looks back to us.

"You should stay back here and wait with us," Beast argues.

"Why?" I turn to him, "It's not like I'm fighting today."

Beast tightens his lips, "Fine, go ahead. Do whatever you want."

He's angry, but I don't know why. Once again I'm ruining everything. I turn to Flame, "I'll meet you up there."