Chapter 9

"Zoe, can you help me with this—" Trish asks as she tries to tug a brush from her hair. I walk over to her and I help untangle the strands and get the brush out. I keep it and continue to brush out her thick curls of brown hair. "I bet you never have this kind of problem," Trish looks at me from the mirror in front of us. Through the mirror, I glance at my tight bun of almost white hair. Behind me sits my set up bed. It's almost curfew time, and Trish and I are getting ready to go to sleep.

"I don't usually keep my hair down, so I wouldn't know."

"Let me see," Trish stands and moves her hands to my bun. I gently push them away.

"No, it's a pain to get it in like this."

"Come on, I'll help you put it back. I wanna see your lovely locks."

I sigh, "Fine," I hand her the brush and I lift my hands to the bun, but someone knocks on our door. 

"Trish, Zoe," I hear Shawn's harsh breathless whisper. "Come on, answer."

Trish walks to the door and opens it a crack, "What?" Shawn pushes his way and walks into the room. I immediately feel the nerves rushing through him. "Is everything alright?"

"No," he looks almost to tears, "It's Beast. Something's wrong. We were in our room and then he fell and he's in pain— I don't know please just come."

We run out the door. We follow Shawn to his room as quietly as we can. We get there and Shawn bursts into the room. Trish and I follow.

We hear cries of pain coming from the bed farthest from us. They are deeper than Beast's normal voice. We run over there and Shawn kneels beside Beast. He isn't wearing a shirt. He's curled up, tensed...like he's fighting something. "Shawn, did it ever dawn on you that the infirmary is where you should have gone?" Trish kneels down beside Beast. "Beast look at me, what's wrong?"

"Get away!" he yells and pushes her nearly halfway across the room. Trish gasps and I see scratches on her arm from where he grabbed her. 

"I don't know what happened, he went out the door to check on something, and when he came back he started freaking out, like he couldn't control his shifting," Shawn starts to panic. 

I look back at Beast and notice something. "Beast, I need to see something, don't push me away, alright?" I see him faintly nod and I kneel beside him. Gently, I touch his neck, and confirm what I saw. "Shawn run to the infirmary, tell them Beast's been giving something that hyper activates his power. Some kind of serum injected into his neck. They might need a sedative, go now!" Shawn runs out the door.

I look back at Beast, he seems to be getting worse. He's pain has increased, and he's loosing control of his abilities as an affect. "What are we going to do?" Trish asks, standing and holding her arm.

"Beast," I say softly, but he doesn't respond, "Beast listen to me." He doesn't respond. He cries out in pain again, and something changes in me. I feel...strong. Like I can command anyone, anything with my voice. "Blake," I say, and his cries lower. I put my hand on his forearm and feel...something. Like a sort of energy is moving from him to me. Beast looks at me and I see blue rings in his eyes moving much like the green ones in mine would. How is my ability involved in this? I can just see things, but I'm definitely seeing my ability having an affect on Beast. He grabs my wrist with his other arm and I feel a transfer. Instinctually I look down to our connection and gasp. I see my veins glowing. No, not my veins, my ability flow. It's coursing through my body, much like Beast's is...or was. He lets go as he calms down, and I feel his pain has subsided. "Blake, how are you feeling?" 

He looks at me eyes fluttered. He's relaxed, but dazed and out of it.

"Zoe, how'd you do that?" Trish asks, freaked out.