CHAPTER FIVE

My Instagram account is one of the most Instagrammable spots on social media. I have a consistent, aesthetically pleasing colour pallet with similar filters: gold and ivory, rich and luxurious, romantic and vintage.

With over fifty thousand followers, I also give major outfit inspiration, beauty and cosmetic advertisement and sophisticated interior design.

The visual arrangement of photos mainly consisted of Insta-Brag. I have travelled everywhere with my husband, Daniel, to the glacial lakes of Venice's Banff National Park, the otherworldly hues of China's Zhangye Danxia Geopark, the powder-soft sands and seductive sceneries of Maldives and a ski holiday in St. Moritz, Switzerland and a trip to The Wall of Love in Paris, France.

If not a romantic getaway with my other half, then a couples holiday. Mr & Mrs Everett, Mr & Mrs Robinson & Mr and Mrs Vargas: Ecuador, Greece, India and South Africa.

Food galore. I have tasted every cuisine on the planet, from the succulent, tandoor-cooked kebabs of Bukhara, and langoustine risotto with parmesan accents of Quito, to premium dining at Sevruga. Vodka in Russia. Beer in New Zealand.

I even went on an all-inclusive Mediterranean cruise with my in-laws, Walter and Virginia, Darlene and Davina. On-board activities are next: Library, casino, pool deck, coffee connection and a holistic array of spa treatments.

Along with colourful shots, I am plastered all over the grid, holding Daniel's hand and kissing Daniel's cheek. The last photo I uploaded of us is in our bed. We both posed for the camera and even though I have a duvet tucked across my chest and under my arms, it is plain for everyone to see that I am naked post-sex. Daniel is a little worse for wear, too, with his sweat-misted chest and dishevelled blond hair.

The most recent photo I uploaded is a stark contrast from the others. I neglected the colour scheme, no filters or hashtags. It's one of me on the beach. A star-lit sky as the backdrop, yet I am wearing oversized sunglasses—to see in the dark, apparently—and a messy bun thrown on top of my head and a hoodie, which I do not recognise. Wave Riders is embroidered on the chest.

I thumbed through the comments, not that any names stood out. I don't know these people or recognise the profile pictures.

aggresive_pony Look cute...

fast_and_the_curious snap follower and now Insta follower!

hitch_hiker the shit ppl do for the gram.

travel-buddy what island is this?

official_diva this is the first time I have seen her look sincerely happy on Insta. I wonder what changed.

babyspinach_tree she is never without a filter. #Botox

I do not get Botox! Even if I did, what's it got to do with Spinach? And the hate is unnecessary. Between Instagram and my website, I am scared to check other social media accounts.

allison_3d whose coat is that jacket?

9356 likes      reply       message

                 governor_drew behave.

My eyes squinted at the screen.

This account is private.

Follow this account to see their photos and videos.

One mutual friend.

Hannah Robinson.

Is governor_drew the brother Hannah mentioned at couples night? If so, why is he replying to other people's comments on my Instagram account? Or, maybe I have met him before, and I can't remember, so it's entirely normal for him to be on my socials, but then, why are we not following each other? And, if I did know him, I am pretty sure Hannah would have been a decent friend and informed me of our acquaintance the other night when she cursed the man for losing her car.