CHAPTER THIRTY-SEVEN

Precisely as the clock's hands converged at the zenith of midnight, Oscar emerged from the townhouse's abysmal depths. He conveyed to me the regrettable circumstance of Daniel's intoxication influenced by harsh spirits, necessitating his and Keith's intervention in carrying the unconscious inebriate to bed.

And thus, I pretended to be concerned, assuring Oscar of my imminent visit to ascertain my husband's condition, though my intentions were far from such an act. My sole ascent to the upper level was motivated by the desire to exchange my formalwear for the more comfortable ensemble of a lounge set, preparatory to unwinding in the garden's tranquil serenity.

Although I had previously expressed my desire for a private encounter with Hannah, I elected to withhold my intention to prolong my solitary retreat under the starlit expanse before the arranged time. I was aware of her impending arrival, yet, in truth, I yearned for a period of undisturbed introspection, a moment of serene contemplation amidst the celestial panorama above, seeking companionship solely in the stars themselves and perhaps those distant souls gazing upon them with the same kindred sense of melancholy.

A sting of tears flooded my eyes. I am ashamed to admit that I broke down into a fit of quiet sobs, whimpering pitifully in the darkness. I found an odd comfort in the isolation that allowed me to confront my thoughts. I had a multitude of things to ponder and now seemed like the opportune moment to begin the arduous task of putting my life in order. However, it was late, and I had been drinking, so it was no surprise when my eyelids felt heavy, and I drifted off to sleep.

As the clock's chimes resonated through the stillness of the night, I was startled from my slumber by the gentle rattle of the kitchen door's mechanism as it yielded passage, followed by the muted cadence of slippered feet traversing the stone-laid patio.

Hannah had also discarded her evening gown, opting for a pair of comfortable pyjamas--a well-worn two-piece adorned with slender straps and playful red cherries. And the most adorable pair of fluffy bunny slippers, complete with floppy ears and shimmering whiskers.

"Hey," she whispered as she cautiously slid onto the sun lounger, inching closer to my side. "I had to wait for Keith to fall asleep, which took forever, thanks to Rochelle's incessant moaning in the next bedroom. That woman sounds like a cat in heat when she is orgasming."

Lovely, I now have a rather vivid and disturbing image of Rochelle and Solomon having it away in the guest bedroom. I am so glad I am out of earshot.

"It's no bother." My mind was adrift in the boundless expanse of the starry sky. "I was relaxing anyway."

Hannah's attention fell to the gin bottle I had retrieved from the forgotten corners of the kitchen cupboard. "Is some of that for me?"

I extended the bottle for her to take. "Knock yourself out."

Twisting the bottle's cap, she unleashed the gin's potent essence and poured it down her throat in a single gulp. "Oli," she croaked, but I never tore my stare away from the constellation of stars above. "Rochelle's abrupt disclosure, even if fueled by alcohol, was inconsiderate and unfair to you. But more importantly, I sincerely apologise for not being upfront with you earlier. I had no justification for keeping secrets from you, especially when it comes to your husband."

While Hannah's misguided attempt to protect me from Daniel's betrayal left me disheartened, I truly believed that she had my best interest at heart. She is a good friend, the best, not an antagonist, and her decision to keep my husband's extracurricular activities under wraps must have stemmed from the genuine belief that it was for my own good.

"Why did you withhold that information from me, though?" I asked, wanting to hear her side on the matter. "I thought we told each other everything."

"Daniel," she began, her voice a gentle caress against the hushed backdrop of the garden. "He told us about the doctor's counsel, that it was inadvisable to jog your memory forcefully. He emphasised the importance of allowing your recollections to resurface organically, thereby mitigating the potential for misinterpretations and preserving the integrity of your cognitive processes."