CHAPTER ELEVEN

Beneath the sky of stars, I embarked on a regal procession toward the town hall, where an exclusive black-tie event, invite-only, reserved for the most affluent and influential individuals from various backgrounds—flamboyant socialites, high society figures, business leaders and generous philanthropists—awaited the arrival of Mr and Mrs Lewis.

The cobbled pathway, illuminated by the vintage, cast-ironed bodies of streetlights, weathered by time and history, led the way like faithful sentinels of the nocturnal realm.

The rhythmic clink of my steps, elevated by the soles of six-inch heels, echoed through the street, where the past and present converged, composing a soothing chorus of my approach.

My one-of-a-kind gown—the fabric, a deep, velvety black; the tight bodice, expertly tailored, accenting my curves with understated sensuality, while the flowing skirt cascaded to the floor, trailing behind me like a midnight shadow—is a masterful creation of couture craftsmanship.

Authentic diamond jewellery is nothing short of breathtaking. A necklace, with its delicate twine of glittering stones, rested gently against the fair canvas of my décolletage. Each cube of ice sparkled with its unique brilliance, catching the light and casting a mesmerising dance of prismatic colours upon my skin.

Matching earrings, each a radiant solitaire, suspended from my earlobes. A bracelet adorned with a series of finely cut diamonds glistened like a celestial constellation of stars on my wrist.

Daniel was equally dashing, looking incredibly suave and debonair in his black tie attire. He chose every detail of his ensemble meticulously. The tuxedo jacket, customised to perfection, draped over his broad shoulders with a sleek, flattering cut. Rich fabrics shimmered subtly under the soft resplendence of the moon, the satin lapels adding a touch of spectacular opulence. Smart trousers, polished black dress shoes and a crisp white shirt with a bow tie completed his look.

His coiffed hair, not a single strand in rebellion, is an affirmation of the steadfast meticulousness of his personal care.

"Remember what I told you." Daniel's hand tightened around mine as he guided me toward the town hall's majestic entrance. "It is acceptable to use Charles' first name in less formal settings, but tonight, I expect you to show respect and adhere to traditional etiquette. Baron Harrington will meet the requirement."

The elderly British Baron of Cinque Ports, Charles Harrington, who is heavily involved in civic duties at the House of Lords, and his young, fresh-faced wife, Baroness Eleanor de Montfort of Blaenau Gwent, whose designer handbag addiction is legendary, hosted a charity fundraiser on an annual basis, in which all of the powerful elites of the village were invited for an evening of upscale dining, vintage wine and exclusive entertainment.

Charles Harrington is renowned for his business acumen and great success. He had extensive trading connections that extended across Europe and beyond. His adroitness in land management was also impressive, and his agricultural holdings were among the most productive in the region. He can afford to be charitable alongside all the other big-shot politicians and top-hatted fat cats in our vicinity.

Economic advocacy is the elite's modus operandi for community betterment. The course of action is clear: the judicious allocation of fortune, expertise and influence for the greater good.

Here, for one night only, the tender-heartedness of philanthropy comes in the guise of multimillion-dollar endowments, strategic investments in education and sustainable initiatives that promise lasting change.

"Of course," I promised my husband with a small, timid smile, not that he reciprocated affection. His anger toward me, stemming from my untruthfulness yesterday morning, when I fabricated a story about falling asleep on the beach, as I knew he could not handle the truth about my whereabouts, still festered like a smouldering ember. "I would never humiliate you."