CHAPTER SIXTEEN

The serration of idle talk resonated in every corner as I followed Hannah to the section dedicated to sports.

Billiard lights hung low over the snooker and pool tables—stood in neat rows of immaculate green baize— and projected a dim, atmospheric light. Balls collided and pocketed with satisfying thuds as cue enthusiasts played round after round.

Red Hot Chilli Peppers' "Can't Stop" is on the jukebox, the song encapsulating the band's energetic essence.

I have only consumed one beer, but the beat compelled me to dance.

Not that I could ever let my guard down in a place like Mac's Bar. I am not here for enjoyment purposes.

Drew, with a cue in one hand and a bottle of beer in the other, is situated on the periphery of the pool table, his attention laser-focused on the bodacious brunette togged up in sultry leather.

Chase glanced up as we approached. He nodded, short and sharp, which encouraged Drew, with suspicious eyes, to look in our direction.

The second Drew spotted his sister, he cursed under his breath, handed the pool cue to a bearded man and stormed toward us.

Hannah beamed at him. "Hey—"

"What the fuck are you doing here?" He verbally ripped her head off, and she shrank away in terror, feeling the force of his anger. "No, fuck this. You have no right to show up when it fucking suits. Go home." His hands gesticulated wildly toward the exit. "Now."

"Excuse me," I interjected, firm yet composed, causing both pairs of eyes to fall on me. "First and foremost, it is imperative that you treat a woman, especially your sister, with the utmost respect because, as the fundamental feminist principle asserts, women's rights are human rights. "

Drew's eyebrows jumped in surprise.

Oh, I am nowhere near finished with you, Buddy. "Any derogation from this principle perpetuates a culture of inequality and hinders the progress toward a just and egalitarian society."

Drew stood tall and proud, his shoulders squared and his gaze unwavering. His expression was one of amusement as if he found the public admonishment to be nothing more than a mild inconvenience.

"Secondly, refrain from elevating your tone," I explained to him the qualities of a gentleman. "Employing coarse language is uncouth and superfluous and betrays a lack of emotional intelligence and maturity. Such behaviour not only diminishes your credibility but also creates an atmosphere of hostility for others. Unless, of course, your intention is to be considered as a petulant halfwit."

My friend tried to dissimulate her discomfort. "It's okay, Oli."

"No, it is not okay," I defended her honour whilst upholding eye contact with a furious man who looked ready to unleash some nefarious act upon me. "Lastly, by what authority do you deem it appropriate to dictate another person's actions? Hannah is not a child, and as such, she is entitled to make decisions about her recreational activities. If she wants to go to a dive bar and get absolutely legless, that is her right."

Drew tsked when his friends resounded with snorts and chuckles. "Shut up," he chastised them for no reason whatsoever, and oddly enough, the sports section fell silent save for the music. His stony stare returned to me. "Are you done?"

"That depends on your attitude," I retorted, my hands sliding to my hips. "I think you owe Hannah an apology for being so rude."

"Don't push your luck," he said, deadly serious, then looked down at his sister. "Does Kieth know his wife is bar hopping on the wrong side of town?"