CHAPTER FORTY-FOUR

The former version of Olivia had reached her breaking point. She knew that Daniel's blatant disinterestedness in the sanctity of their marriage was unacceptable, and the discovery of the concealed stash of cash inside the wall of the walk-in wardrobe suggested that she had contemplated a future separation from him--that she had considered leaving him.

Truthfully, I struggled to come to terms with the fact I was no longer in love with the man I married. Losing the affection I had once felt for him was the most difficult to reconcile with, though, as it left me feeling lost and uncertain about my future.

A deleted file on the computer piqued my interest as I scrolled through the documents. I clicked on the link.

From: DLewis@capitalholdings.co.uk

To: management@theoasis.co.uk

Subject: Appreciation for Last Sunday

Natasha,

I hope this message finds you in good health and spirits. I just wanted to take a moment to express my sincere gratitude for the outstanding service you provided me during my visit to The Oasis last Sunday. Your exceptional customer service skills were truly impressive, and your warm and friendly demeanour made my experience a memorable one. I cannot thank you enough for going above and beyond to ensure I had a great time.

I also wanted to mention that I was struck by your captivating presence and charm, which added an extra layer of delight to the overall experience. Your attention to detail, professionalism, and positive attitude did not go unnoticed, and I am truly grateful for all that you did to make my visit a special one.

Thank you again for your exceptional service, and please know that your talents are truly appreciated. I wish you all the best in your future endeavours.

I look forward to another delightful Sunday at the resort.

Kind regards,

Daniel

Hedge Fund Manager and Strategist

Capital Holdings

Upon first glance, the conversation thread appeared unremarkable, as there was no clear indication of negativity or tension. However, my reaction to the mere mention of a specific individual by the name of Natasha was immediate and visceral. Although there was no explicit reason for my discomfort, her name alone was enough to set my teeth on edge and trigger a sense of unease.

Drew's words at Mac's Bar had a bone-chilling resonance that I couldn't shake off. In his accusations, he painted my husband as the grim reaper of the water nymph's tragic demise.

From: Natasha@theoasis.co.uk

To: DLewis@capitalholdings.co.uk

Subject: Re: Appreciation for Last Sunday

Hi Daniel,

Thanks a bunch for your lovely words! 😊 I'm over the moon that you enjoyed your time last Sunday. We're all about making sure our guests have a blast, and your appreciation means the world to the team.

I can't wait to welcome you back soon.

Maybe I will chuck in a cheeky cocktail!

Cheers,

Natasha

Management, The Grand Oasis Resort

My insides curdled into a solid knot of fear and dread as I read the emails, the words like shards of ice twisting in my stomach.